• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by irc.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • BearsWay petition
  • bencooper
    Free Member

The BearsWay is a stretch of cycleway in Bearsden, outside Glasgow – it’s the main route if you’re cycling to Mugdock for instance. The first phase is a good start, but recently the second phase was voted down by the council.

There’s a petition to get the second phase restarted – please sign it if you care about encouraging cycling around Glasgow:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/complete-the-bearsway-project

Thanks 😀

squirrelking
    Free Member

With absolutely no local support I think you’re pissing in the wind. Good luck nonetheless.

bencooper
    Free Member

For balance?!

bails

Yes, got to consider the poor ickle dwivers who’ve lost zero lanes and are now in no more danger than they were before and have to spend an entire 1.3 seconds longer travelling along the road. They’re the victims here.

sillyoldman

Thanks Ben. Signed. Squirrel – I’m local. 😉

irc

I preferred cycling the A81 before phase 1. Bearsway 1 is OK southbound but northbound means crossing oncoming traffic twice. Hence why 10% of cyclists don’t use it. All the old road needed was a better surface in the lanes and parking controls in a couple of places.

Glad local democracy worked in this case.

bencooper
    Free Member

Which si why it needs to be extended and improved, surely? The old lanes were awful – not just the surface, but the way cars could cut every corner at speed.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Whilst i agree wholeheartedly with the idea, i’ll not be signing due to living in England & the thought that non-local signee’s could do more harm than good to the cause.
    I follow Magnatom on twitter & think its a great idea, wish you all well.

tjagain

I am not in favour because its so badly designed

irc

The preferred option seemed to be version 4 – a two way lne on the east side. Problems – reduced capacity for traffic at already busy junction s. Probably less safe than the current road as at several junctions right turning cars would be expected to give way to cyclists both oncoming and approaching in their blind spots in the rear.

Thgose who chose not to use it on safety grounds would get hassled from drivers for not using “your lane.”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘BearsWay petition’ is closed to new replies.