Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bearings for superstar front wheel
  • twojumpers

The bearing are starting to go on my switch hub after 18 months, I know I need 61804 bearings but they seem to vary from £3 to £15 each. Do I splash out for the expensive skf ones, mid price Hope’s or are the budget ones ok?

Thanks

flyingmonkeycorps

Don’t get budget ones, unless you like changing bearings halfway through every ride. Dunno about the difference between the mid and expensive ones, better sealing I’d guess? The expensive ones may well last twice as long, but that might be longer than the rest of the wheel!

chvck
    Free Member

I use budget ones in my superstar hubs, talking around a quid per cartridge. They last ages for me.

Brown
    Free Member

I tried budget bearings in my rear switch. A week in the Alps and they needed replacing. Four weeks later they needed doing again.

Maybe I went too cheap…

EDIT – I think it’s a 6804 you need, not a 61804.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Grease before installation is more important.

Brown
    Free Member

My word. Mine might not even have lasted a week if I hadn’t greased them!

nealy
    Free Member

61804 is the same as 6804.

My original bearings lasted 6 months before they developed play so replaced them with Katec/Kasee bearings off ebay (branded EZO) but they developed play after a year (I’m not convinced these are genuine as cheaper than I can source elsewhere and didn’t last that long). I’ve now replaced them with genuine FAG INA bearings from AK bearings (who are cheapest and delivered fast) and they’re spot on but you still need to pop the seals off and fill with waterproof grease before fitting them

http://www.akbearings.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=997&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1

twojumpers

Thanks, I’ll get some ordered.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I noticed yesterday that my front bearings are very rough and there is some initial resitance when spinning the wheel.

I was thinking of getting some new bearings from AK bearings and I wondered if I should get chrome steel or stainless steel? The ones I need are 6804 I’m also open to other suggestions.

Northwind

I’ve bought cheap ones that were absolutely 100% useless- one that a seal crumpled up in use and fell out, one that shattered when tapping it in, and a couple that just failed after a hundred miles or so (I think those are the bearings On One and Truvativ use).

So I stick to the brand names generally, yes it’s more expensive but it’s less hassle and won’t spoil your ride. I used to choose Koyo because they came in a little cardboard box with an artist’s impression of a bearing on the front, like an oldschool matchbox car (before this plastic blister bullshit)

But these days I am on Katec, and will be for the forseeable.

johnnystorm

What are people popping seals out with? Anything with a sharpish edge, a pick or similar? FWIW I put 1.50 bearngs in mine and they’ve been fine.

tomfun

I got some £1.50 jobs off eBay. Running fine with no issues and 10 mins to swap over. Given the prices I may look at some ceramic ones next time.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bearings for superstar front wheel’ is closed to new replies.