• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by IA.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bearings for an Intense frame
  • backhander
    Free Member

Hi all, the 5.5 is getting a spruce up (powdercoat etc) and I though it prudent to change the bearings.
    Does anyone know the cheapest way to do this?
    Set from BETD is £40 which seems a lot. Does anyone know the specifications, sizes etc? Anyone got bearings for a 5.5 from an engineering supplier before? Thanks for any help.

Onzadog
    Free Member

IIRC the BETD set are enduro max bearings. Max bearings are not great in hubs and bottom brackets but great in pivots (compared to caged type). You could see if it's cheaper to order direct from Endro Bearings in the states.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Its written on the rubber seal of the bearing, the code is the type.

I believe (well, on the 3 Intense's i've done bearing swaps on) they are all the same size & identical.

Just go down to your local bearing shop, you will be able to get the lot for £20 max. The Enduro bearings are no better than any other half decent rubber sealed bearing, they just cost twice as much.

backhander
    Free Member

That's brilliant guys thanks very very much

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've got to disagree that Enduro are no better. In this application, a max bearing will work better as suspension pivots oscillate rather than rotate. With a max complement of loose balls, it will even out the wear on the races rather than just rocking back on fourth on the same spot.

IA

£40 seems reasonable for a complete set for a multi pivot bike. And presumably a multi-thousand pound bike, and you're skimping on servicing it correctly for the sake of £20?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bearings for an Intense frame’ is closed to new replies.