Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bearing replacement hell
  • honourablegeorge

Mate’s just stripped his Giant Reign, powdercoated it, and is about to reassemble it.

Problem is, one of the bearings (the upper ones in the swingarm) disintegrated when he tried to remove it, leaving an outer shell wedged in there.

Have tried working it out with blades and screwdrivers, to no effect.

Anyone got a clever trick?

MrOvershoot

I have a full set of expandable bearing pullers, but you don’t want to know how much they cost!

anjs
    Free Member

Dremel it out

RustyMac

If the bearing from the other side os ok could you use that to press out the remaining bit of bearing? if you sand or file down the outer race a litle first so it is a loose fit in the frame(check this in the good side) then use that to press the stuck bit out.

honourablegeorge

There’s a raised edge on the other side, so I can’t press out the shell because of that.

njee20
    Free Member

Dremel.

ian martin
    Free Member

In my experience they’re brittle so a hammer and screw driver will do the trick.

Shackleton

Dremel and a small thin cutter (I used a 5mm dia diamond one). Cut the outer race nearly all the way through at 12,4 and 7 o’clock positions. Thin screwdriver under one of the cuts. All nicely falls out.

seanodav
    Free Member

Try making a colette extractor to grab it form the inside.
    Use a piece of steel tubing just smaller than the outer race, hammer a flange on the end then cut it down the length in a cross so that it can be splayed open.
    put cut end in race and screw a bolt in from the other side to open it up then knock or push it out with vice.

Or if your near newcastle i will pull it out for you with a bearing puller

Gilles

Same thing happened to me and it was removed by my bike shop using Shackleton’s method. Apparently they used loctite to hold the bearing in the cup and I was advised not doing it. Just some grease will be better for the next time I need to change them.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Use one of those expanding rawl bolts for concrete. Put the wedges in so they engage the bearing ‘shell’, then screw the bolt in so that the wedges expand and grip the bearing and then tap the bolt out from the other side, taking the bearing with it. Similar solution to seanodav’s but ready made

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Pour boiling water over it?

singlespeedstu

What mtbtomo said.

I used to use this method for removing collapsed wheel bearings from enduro bikes.

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Pipe freezing spray from B&Q etc plumbing dept. Spray on the bit you want to extract and it will contract. Works best if the ambient temp of the rest of the frame is on the warm side.

Northwind

Do you know anyone who can weld? Easy enough if you do.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bearing replacement hell’ is closed to new replies.