Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bearing removal and fitting…what do you use?.
  • cheekyget
    Free Member

What do you use for changing your bearings??
    Is there any cheap ways of making a bearing press??
    And what are the plastic things they use in bike shops to knock out the bearing with…..where can they be brought??

Cheers guys

Leku
    Free Member

I have a set of superstar tools. Makes changing the bearings on my Yeti (5) very easy.

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/bearing-removal-fitting-tool.htm

grahamt1980

Socket set and a vice normally.
    Am waiting for a bearing press to turn up though. And bearing pullers seem to be a pain in the arse on frames as they flex slightly which stops the puller working.

thecaptain
    Free Member

For knocking out, a screwdriver and mallet usually does the job. For inserting new ones, I used the fat end of a wooden hammer handle last week (and a mallet) cos it was just wide enough. I did make a headset press out of threaded bar and big washers some time ago but haven’t got round to using it – rotating the bearing races cured the notching.

stevios
    Free Member

A bearing press made from threaded bar, nuts and washers of various sizes, sockets, hammers, punches etc. Whatever gets the job done really. If the job is beyond my motley kit then it’s off to the LBS.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

I bought the Superstar tools too.
    Makes changing incredibly easy and quick.

hillsplease

Hope tools for Hope stuff.Rapid Racer press for frame bearings. Occasional deadblow hammer and socket set extender bar when required. Santa Cruz Blur was a bespoke and v v efficient tool, was about 60 quid.

timber

Big hammers, old sockets and the freezer.
    Changed the bearings in a brushcutter head, after that everything else is a bit easy.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

+1 for the Superstar tools, used them for the first time yesterday, really do make the job easy.

welshfarmer

Timber, try changing the bearings on a 15 year old round baler!

On a bike, an extensive socket set, various extensions and a very wide jawed vice will usually get most jobs done easily enough.

spectraken
    Free Member

I used a vice, it went horribly wrong lol

cheekyget
    Free Member

Some great replies…didn’t think about using a threaded bar, might give that ago
    Cheers

tthew

Anyone had any success with using the superstar tool on a hub? Looks like it may work with a longer bolt, and I have a back wheel that’s a complete arse to get the new bearings in straight employing usual bodging methods.

Northwind

Whatever’s most appropriate, really. Most generally useful tool for removal is the rear axle from a 2010 Suzuki SV650, but I’ve got assorted screwdrivers and punches and such. And very occasionally, expanding bolts, for blind bearings.

Fitting, I’m a sockets man, but I vary between rubber mallets, the mighty hammer of Thor, vices, gclamps and threaded bar depending on the job.

timber

Welshfarmer – witnessed the half way point of a baler bearing change at one of our tenant farms near Abergavenny after a few hard years use. Hard to say how successfully it was going.

antigee

for hub bearings I have a spark plug socket tool that fits – also used a 12mm? masonary anchor bolt you can thread it through expand it and pull out the bearing bodgtastic

yeager2004
    Free Member

No one using the Park tooks? Very expensive, but their bearing cup press looks a nice bit of kit.

deadkenny
    Free Member

If they’re not blind, and the bearing is going to be binned, screwdriver and hammer or mallet to remove.

Fitting, if my headset press will fit I use that. Otherwise my DIY tool. Threaded rod, metal washers and wing nuts 😀 . Sometimes with a socket and old bearing sat on top of the new.

Branded tools tend to be one for a specific bearing size and to get all the tools for all the bearing sizes I have is stupidly expensive.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bearing removal and fitting…what do you use?.’ is closed to new replies.