Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bearing press tools, possible to buy?
  • tthew

I have a rear hub which it seems the bearing housing is right at the small end of the tolerance, which makes the normal tooling, (i.e. sockets, stud bar and nuts/washers) a right bastard to keep straight and on the outer race.

Is it possible to purchase proper press tools from somewhere? Like the Park ones I have for press fit bottom bracket, or do I need to get some made up at an engineering shop?

Ta.

LoCo
    Free Member

RRP (i think) do a very good kit, exspensive though

reggiegasket
    Free Member

mate with a lathe?

LoCo
    Free Member

yep we turn stuff up as necessary, don’t offer the machining service though as not enough time (still at workshop now (coffee break))

tthew

Loco, spot on, that’s superb. Yes the press is expensive but the adaptors aren’t too bad.

Don’t have a mate with a lathe and don’t do enough with that sort of supplier at work not to ask for a favour unfortunately. Hive mind to the rescue again!!

edit – and hope you get knocked off soon. Late night!

mickmcd
    Free Member

we have a lathe and we made some of these ……..its becoming amazing the things people will buy, never realised till now

swampi
    Free Member

Bocca bearings in usa do one that covers lots of sizes, cost me £40 odd including rm charge and duty etc

prettygreenparrot

press? Just get the right sized drift (about £5) and a big bolt, some spacers, some thick washers, and the correct nut.

wwaswas

On one were doing a press plus lots of drifts for a good price recently.

z1ppy

PGP got a link to those ‘drifts’?

I bought to Bocca thinking it looked like just the job & not too expensive, ended up costing £45 in the end as RM added £15 onto of the £30 purchase price. I’m not impressed (especially @ RM), seems to work well enough but all the sizes are odd numbers & come in pairs, so I’ve found one side fit the bearing but the other is bigger than your hole (eg: freewheel) you can’t use it to push the bearing into place. Wish I’d saved the money and spent it on the Wheels kit, pity as it does have potential to be a cheap and useful bit of kit.

tthew

Thanks for all the links and suggestions, I’m sure I’ll get sorted now.

deadkenny
    Free Member

The Superstar ones are £18 for one size, so price mounts up if you have many sizes. Plus not a blind bearing puller?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bearing press tools, possible to buy?’ is closed to new replies.