Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Bearing install/removal tools
  • rossburton
    Free Member

So whilst I was walking my frame down to the LBS to get the press-fit bearings replaced I was wondering if this is a tool that I should buy to be able to do myself in the future or whether it’s just best to cultivate a good relationship with the LBS and they can do it.

So, is there such a thing as a universal tool to press bearings (including the fiddly frame pivot and Hope hub bearings) or would each such use need a special tool? I’ve seen some people say a threaded rod, nuts and a washer is acceptable for DIY and I guess then you can buy a range of sizes, but then the purpose-built tools from Hope etc are surely better at their job.

Also, how does one *remove* tight press-fit bearings?

BoardinBob

Superstar sell some. They’re brilliant. I use their blind bearing puller and proper frame bearing tools. Makes the job a doddle

binno
    Free Member

FSA and hope make fairly affordable bearing removal tools, though they are for specific sizes. You can get a generic press for most bottom brackets, that will also do headsets. However frame bearings (especially) and hubs require more precision and more care.

In my experience i have a generic larger bearing press tools (planet-x) and wheels MFG hub press kit + specific bearing tools for frames, some from eBay sellers, others from manufacturers depending on the frame. The frame ones might be best left to a good bike shop though, as you’ll rarely need to fit / remove them.

Unless you’re fitting things frequently, maybe make friends with good local bikeshop.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Bearing install/removal tools’ is closed to new replies.