Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bearing installation – to grease or not to grease?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

On the Hope videos, when he puts new bearing in the Pro 3 front hub he puts a smear of grease in the shell to help the bearings slide in. When he does the Pro 2 Evo rear he doesn’t. So, grease to help them in, or not?

PJ266
    Free Member

Greece.

weeksy

I did yesterday after watching a few vids… i didn’t see it doing any harm either way to be honest.

I think people forget that bearings are a service item and not a lifelong item, so getting it back out is important and a little grease may may them stubborn ones just a tiny bit easier.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cool, grease it is.

carlos
    Free Member

Yeah, grease is good. All bearings that are replaced get a thin wipe/brush of the stuff before fitting. No idea if it really helps or not, but cannot do any harm

Carlos

BlobOnAStick

I use copper slip, not grease.

But if I didn’t have any copper slip I’d use grease.

tom.nash

BlobOnAStick – Member
    I use copper slip, not grease.

But if I didn’t have any copper slip I’d use grease.

+1.

iffoverload
    Free Member

what Blob sez, anti sieze it the one,

Rubber_Buccaneer

Grease or anti seize. Not to help the bearing in but to help prevent corrosion so they are easy to remove when they next need replacing

roverpig

I have a simple rule for bikes. If I think I might ever want to replace something, I put some grease on it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

They’re in. With grease. What a pleasant job servicing Hope hubs is. Most satisfying putting something together with a nylon hammer.

wwaswas

I tend to use a medium strength bearing lock.

it provides anti corrosion like a grease but stops the bearing outer rotating and damaging the hub/frame if the bearing seizes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bearing installation – to grease or not to grease?’ is closed to new replies.