Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Beardy types
  • Anyone dye theirs?

I’m full on salt and pepper and the Mrs says it makes me look old….

So, at her request, I’ve dyed it – I probably insisted on going a bit darker than I should and it’s a bit of a shock. Overall, I think it looks ok, but people will notice and mates will take the piss – which I can deal with. I have a shaved (read bald) head btw.

Anyone done it with positive/negative results?

It may come off tomorrow – it’s only a couple of weeks growth, around 10mm

Jamie
    Free Member

So, at her request, I’ve dyed it

I hope, as part of the deal, she gave you your balls back out the drawer.

…fwiw, just let it go salt+pepper. Makes one look distinguished.

…and pretty badass:

maccruiskeen

just let it grow for another couple of weeks – 10mm of luxuriant youthful beard on top of 10mm of greying roots is totally on trend.

aracer
    Free Member

Interesting topic, as I’m currently growing my first ever proper beard, and describing it as salt and pepper would be being polite (next door suggested I was being Santa!) I had wondered about dye, but doubt I will (will probably just get rid soon). In my case it has possibly an even greater aging effect as I have a fairly full head of dark hair. I did know it would be like this, as that’s the colour my stubble is.

Though despite quickly growing stubble, I don’t seem to grow a beard that quick. Mine’s about that length after a month.

samuri
    Free Member

…fwiw, just let it go salt+pepper. Makes one look distinguished.

…and pretty badass:

You mean ‘like my Uncle Harry’ I think. He’s losing it a bit and sometimes gets lost coming back from the shops but yeah, it’s a great look. Beards are way cool nowadays. Nobody has them.

Swelper
    Free Member

I’m my own man. No comment as dont trend nor hipster either

Drac

Why the **** would I have a beard?

I was sat in a coffee shop in leads today where lots of young chaps came in with beards and Brill combed hair. They look like sad little clones.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Shave it off then runaway and join a circus 😀

Why the **** would I have a beard?

I was sat in a coffee shop in leads today where lots of young chaps came in with beards and Brill combed hair. They look like sad little clones.

People in following fashion shocker!

Unfortunately/fortunately, the option for Brylcreem escaped me many years ago.

That aside, sometimes I have a beard, sometimes I have stubble – depends on my mood. Never clean shaven though, that just doesn’t suit me

spud-face

i’d mock, but i can’t grow one.

samuri
    Free Member

sure you can. Every single man on the planet can grow a beard, it’s dead easy. Just stop shaving. A week or so later and there you go, a beard.

Sorry, apart from de Caprio. But every other man can.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i would like to dye my beard blonde. my hair is blonde but my beard is mainly dark.

i wont though, the whole point of a beard is you don’t have to do things to it

jools182
    Free Member

I can’t grow one either

Stubble looks fine, but leave it any longer and I look like I live on a park bench

northernmatt

I’ve had a beard of varying lengths for the last 14 years, I first grew it when I was at uni and I left my razor at home and being a student a razor wasn’t at the top of my list of things to purchase.

At my OH’s Christmas party a couple of weeks ago I got complimented on mine and told it was “totally on trend”, I’d had quite a large quantity of gin by this time so I ended up berating them a little bit more than necessary and gave them a potted history of the beard as well. They were confused.

senorj

I now have more than 20 grey whiskers that weren’t there last Christmas!I’ve just shaved mine off.
    There’s a bloke at work who “just for men’s” his beard ,eyebrows and hair.I can’t help but snigger as I pass him. He looks like a cartoon baddy.Sorry. 🙂

nickhart
    Free Member

When I first grew my beard it came through ginger, I’m over the moon it’s going white now! In all honesty we age, it’s what happens, enjoy it.

maccruiskeen

I now have more than 20 grey whiskers that weren’t there last Christmas!I

I’m going the opposite way. Most of my beard hair is almost invisibly pale. A few years ago on rogue jet black appeared on the side of my chin and now he’s got a few dozen mates around him. Not that noticeable if I let my beard grow, but when I shave I look like I’ve got a dirty thumbprint on my face.

Drac

People in following fashion shocker!

No, they looked like clones. Fashion is one thing yes but they all looked identical.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Mine’s got plenty of grey in it but there’s no way I could be bothered with dyes. Just trim it short if grey bothers you!

TiRed

Mines red. Embrace the white hairs. Of which I have one or two. Funny thing is, the other hair is still red.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my mate did his tash to darken it as it was a bit lighter – almost ginger when he has dark hair.

Didn’t look as fake as we thought it would. Didn’t stop us ripping him…

fasthaggis

OP
    With all those side glances in mirrors and shop windows,you need to be wary of potential neck injuries.
    Vanity,it’s a curse init 😀

ElShalimo

My beard is red, yellow, brown and grey. Nowt wrong with being a mongrel

what’s with this ginger, silver crap?
    everyone knows blokes are like old computers and only have 16 colours
    😉

slowoldman

Well look, I know that apart from being a slowoldman I’m probably a miserable old git, but I wouldn’t dream of dying my beard (which is pure as the driven snow) or my hair, on grounds of vanity – “the Mrs says it makes me look old….”

By all means dye it bright red or powder blue “as a statement”.

convert

Currently sporting my winter beard (stop shaving when the clocks go back, start again when we start BST). The last couple of years have been a lot greyer than before. The MASSIVE bonus is that it appears it’s the rogue ginger chin pubes than have gone grey first. I don’t have a ginger hair on my head – what’s with the ginger chin growth?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Age with grace. Dye is ungraceful as a ‘cover-up’. Being shamed into dyeing because of your age even more so. Of course – doing what you really wish to do is more important than any advice.

mintimperial

I have a shaved (read bald) head btw.

Why not go the whole hog and get a toupee to match your beard? Or perhaps sir would prefer a comb-over?

Good god man, shave it off and start again! And this time tell your missus to do one if she starts suggesting modifications to your appearance, clearly she’s deranged. Bloody hell what’s the world coming to, dying one’s beard? I ask you, thin end of the wedge, hell in a handbasket grumble grumble…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have you seen the state of TAFKASTR? 😯

If he were my boyf, I’d change him. For the better. 😀

benz
    Free Member

We have a salt and pepper miniature Schnauzer.

My beard is a little like Roy’s which is a good match for the hound. Unfortunately my eyebrows also match those of the hound. If you know what a nicely groomed Schnauzer looks like you will understand that this is perhaps not a good look for a human…..

funkmasterp

Dying a beard just strikes me as odd. Despite it currently being fashion I’ve had a beard for years. 10mm is not really a beard, just unshaven. Everyone claiming it’s easy to grow a beard, I’d counter with its much easier to keep your feminine shaved look.

To keep a proper manly beard requires maintenance. I’ll end with some shocking news for the offspring of any of you beardless lot. If your dad hasn’t got a beard, you’ve got two mums.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I shaved mine in October. My riding chums starting making Brian Blessed references.

*sob*

FWIW you shouldn’t have dyed it. Trimming for neatness only IMO.

Only those that haven’t grown a beard think it’s easier than shaving. It isn’t.

aracer
    Free Member

Now we’re talking – the clear advantage of doing that with a beard rather than my normal hair is that I don’t need to worry about whether it will wash out if I don’t like it.

maccruiskeen

It appears we just have to place threads about drill drivers and hair dye in close proximity flushes DD out of hiding. 🙂

Happy christmas!

mintimperial

Only those that haven’t grown a beard think it’s easier than shaving. It isn’t.

Yes it is. What the hell are you doing with yours that’s so complicated? Mine gets a trim every couple of weeks tops, and that’s it. Shaving involves faffing about with razors and goop every few days, it’s a right ballache in comparison to not shaving. Even if you just buzz off the stubble (which isn’t really shaving) then you still have to do it more frequently than if you leave it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

My beard is a big curly bastard of ginger black and blonde.

Shaving is easier than keeping it tidy but i like it so its stays.

No grey in it yet but it wouldn’t bother me.

scotroutes

So – trimming? I’m on my 2nd ever beard, grown in order to keep my chin warm (and it works). The question is, should I be tidying it up or just letting it grow au naturel? We’re on about 9 weeks now and my plan is to leave it on until the end of March.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Clippers round the neckline and any strays on the upper cheek.

I tend to keep the sides shorter thant the chin and tache area as my beard grows outwards in all directions

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

This is what mine does and is the route cause of my comments in respect of beards being harder than shaving.

I’ve spent nearly 40 years trying to think of a reason why I should shave.
    I’m not going start trying to think of a reason why I should dye it now.

As the saying goes;
    “Never get upset about being beaten by an old man with a grey beard. Keep training and one day that will be you”

CountZero

Mine is trimmed to stubble, I can’t be arsed to shave it, but if I let it grow out more it’s very uneven, and starts to irritate. Easy just to run a trimmer over it, only takes a minute or two. And there’s some grey in there as well, which is only right and proper as I’m 60…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Beardy types’ is closed to new replies.