Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Beach riding Aldeburgh up to Walberswick/Southwold…..anyone done it?
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

Just after ride ability conditions….I’ve ridden Dunwich Common then up Dunwich beach which was a 1/4 mile walk as my 2.35s just sunk too fast in the shingle then up to Southwold on the waters edge but haven’t explored south of Dunwich. I’ll be riding a fatty so no issue with sinking in shingle anymore but want to just be assured that it’s a pleasant winters beach ride and doable.
    I would love to go explore round Orford Ness via the beach but suspect I may get shouted at as its SSI etc etc etc etc etc….
    One final thing is the chippy at Southwold harbour open year round daily…..I would hate to promise my mate fresh fish and chips mid way feed and then serve home up some crabmeat and cockles 😆

Watty

Do you mean Mrs T’s or the Smoke House? Mrs T’s is definitely closed for winter.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I just remember a large wooden shack come restaurant that was very popular…….ill have to google image to see which but thanks fo the heads up! Looking at projected wind speed directions, we may start from Walberswick/Southwold so that when we are knackered we have the wind sort of on our backs 😆

cannondaleking
    Free Member

I’ve ridden from Lowestoft to southwold a few times on the shore line tis a nice ride the anchor pub in walberswick is normally open for a coffee and snacks if you make it as far as Lowestoft pop in the shop for a coffee dude as just got some really nice stuff in for the cafeteria

Suggsey
    Free Member

Cheers for that cannondaleking.we will see how far the legs carry us (bearing in mind the stiff breeze that’s forecast at the moment). If we don’t make it this time around I plan many more beach biking trips in the area so will do one that does take you in.

Watty

Ah, the black shack is the smoke house and IS open. Nice lobster and chips.

dekadanse
    Free Member

South of Dunwich there are some nice paths on the edge of the Heath, and after the NT Coastguard houses you drop down onto dunes and sandy shoreline. Should be perfect for fatty tyres. And you should have a clear route down to the Maggi Hambling scallop shell at the top end of Aldeburgh beach. Just watch out for the nuclear power station though!

The better way to get through to Walberswick from Dunwich is approx. half mile inland – good north/south bridleway, with a few cheeky footpath bits. Or Sandlings Walk, which is another half mile again further inland.

prezet
    Free Member

There’s a new chippy opened in the village – I believe run by the same people as the pub. I’d be surprised if that was closed. It’s on the corner just by The Nelson.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Beach riding Aldeburgh up to Walberswick/Southwold…..anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.