Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • BE Internet – Modem Recovery
  • Shandy
    Free Member

I’ve recently cancelled 4 broadband lines with BE Internet. Today I started receiving emails saying they want their modems back, and if they dont get them they are going to charge me £35 per unit.

I’ve never been asked to return a modem before, I’m not even sure I still have them. Is this kind of thing common practice? It strikes me as a sneaky way to cash in a few quid extra on a cancelled account.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve just upgraded my Virgin Media modem and they want the old one back. I guess that, as you’re only renting it, they have a right to do so.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d tell them yes they can have them back, but they can arrange for their collection.

Shandy
    Free Member

I will have to find them first! If they had told me on cancellation I would have had them put to one side.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

It’s a funny old game. I have a brand new modem sitting here from another family member who arranged to change service providers but then cancelled. The new service provider hasn’t asked for it back…but being older and wiser I kept it just in case.

ComradeD
    Free Member

i was in the same boat with BE. I never bothered returning it and they never got back to me

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You could try telling them they didn’t send you one…

purpleyeti
    Free Member

it does state when you order from be that they expect the modem back. They also provide a free returns service so it doesn’t cost. and they will just pass your details onto a debt collection agency if you fail to return it or pay them off.

MSP

1st ignore them
    2nd if that doesn’t work, contest the modem value and offer then 2 quid per modem, (they are basically worthless).
    3rd If that doesn’t work say you will see them in court.

that’s assuming you can’t find the modems for them to collect.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Yup, they tell you that you need to send them back if/when your contract ends. Not a lot you cab other than find them and send them back or pay up. Not worth getting debt collectors etc on your case for.

Shandy
    Free Member

IT guy has dug them out for me, so thats saved some money and hassle. I asked customer services if this kind of extortion is commonplace in the industry and got back a very polite email that completely ignored the question 😆

I’m off to put the spare BT ones to one side in case they start charging too.

druidh
    Free Member

It’s hardly extortion if they ask you to return THEIR equipment. 🙄

Shandy
    Free Member

Yeah I’m sure its £35 worth of kit. The IT guy told me they’re charged private customers as much as £100.

bentudder

BT sent us about five of their super-dorky business broadband modems for the ADSL connection my wife’s employer paid for over a three year period. I had to chase them to take them back. Fair dues to them, though – when I finally got through to the right person, they sent a prepaid bag for the modems. I explained we had four to return in one go. Apparently they’re used to this – they sent a **** massive bag. I could have posted their street cabinet back to them at the same time if I’d wanted to.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

BE did that when I cancelled. Very odd, but it’s their kit so they’re entitled to I guess.

purpleyeti
    Free Member

before BE were bought out they did this as they recycle the equipment to keep the costs down for the end user. think it’s the same reason they still do it although they are now owned by 02

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘BE Internet – Modem Recovery’ is closed to new replies.