• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by viv.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Be honest…
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

If you saw your own bike (in a brand new state) in a bike shop, then would you actually lust after it, or go for something else?

Me, I’d still want one of them, but the FS would not be in the stable.

You?

Discuss…

Cheers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If I saw my beloved old Marin in a shop, it would still make me lust after it as much as it did back then!

My FS bikes? Less so.
    My road bikes? Not at all.

coogan
    Free Member

Stable?

Junkyard
    Free Member

My orange 5 is still an orange 5 and great but I would but something else for the current price tbh SHHH dont tell molgrips.
    Surely unless your bike is a few mths old you would get something different ? You cant even buy Pikes these days [but I feel no need to replace them]

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

The bike I would keep is 6 or 7 years old, but it is a HT, not much progress in that department…

coogan, one needs to have a stable of bike’s, it’s what one does when they have given up the GG’s & has excess storage 😉

rustler
    Free Member

My Ventana probably not, but the 29er Inbred yes.

Northwind

My Mmmbop, possibly not, I’m planning to replace it. My Hemlock, yep. Though I’d want one that was a bit less broken-in :mrgreen: It’s looking a bit 3rd or 4th hand now

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure there’s no such thing as a brand new Evil Sovereign – all the ones I’ve seen look to have been thrashed to within an inch of their life, which I suppose is the idea.

If I saw mine in a shop brand new, I certainly would lust for it. And if it had the ‘dream build’ I’m steadily working towards, I think I’d need a little lie down afterwards.

OOOFT.

_tom_
    Free Member

Probably not, though I do think it’d look good if all the components were new and shiny. It would be more appealing to look at if anything matched ie some kind of brand “theme” with shimano brakes & drivetrain, thomson seatclamp to match the post etc.

singlespeedstu

Bikes that you can just walk into a shop and buy off the shelf are unlustworthy. 😉

Kato

my 98 Kula in bright orange

absolutely, but i’d want P2’s on it

LeeW

I never really wanted a Ibis Tranny it just kind of happened. The frame was what I was looking for at the right price, at the right time. I wouldn’t swap it for the world, but I don’t think I’d lust after one if I saw one on display.

My road bike, although I love riding it, it’s just a tool. I just don’t have the same ‘lust’ for road bikes.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

No. I’m lusting after the latest version.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member
    Bikes that you can just walk into a shop and buy off the shelf are unlustworthy.

I never said that, I said that if you walked into a bike shop & saw your own bike. But then I have never seen an off the peg bike with middleburn’s & RC31’s 😉

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I’d have the GT Karakoram I bought after doing a-levels and some twunt nicked from Uni, loved that bike!

singlespeedstu

But then I have never seen an off the peg bike with middleburn’s & RC31’s

That’s because most Pace fork start creaking and Middleburn cranks split.
    😉 x2 😆

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member
    That’s because most Pace fork start creaking and Middleburn cranks split.
    x2

Only if you a fat git 😈

PePPeR

Yes, one of them is a fine looking bike, the others nah!

singlespeedstu

Only if you a fat git

I take it you’ve come across both problems then. 😛

I had a secondhand rc31 that creaked like a bastard. My LBS got it swapped for a new one though before i sold it. Never had a Middleburn crank crack myself mainly because i’ve never owned one. Seen a few mates have them fail though…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I don’t generally buy parts or bikes for what they look like, and if I saw mine in a shop I’d not think twice about it as it’s newest bit is about 9 years old (apart from consumables!). I have just built up my previous frame with some junior T 170s and that gives me nice thoughts.

viv
    Free Member

I love my all white lapierre froggy, I still love it’s looks – so yeah

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Be honest…’ is closed to new replies.