Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Be careful with Mucky Nutz mud guard
  • jonundercover
    Free Member

I am really happy with my Mucky Nutz fender however, care needs to be taken when fitting it and you should check the fitting regulary. Mine must have worked slightly loose and as a result has scored my stanchions. Ouch!

Jamie
    Free Member

Still, you stopped a bit of mud getting on your legs/face/knees/chest/down tube 8)

Northwind

How’d you manage that? It’d need to be massively out of shape… It’s easy to have them fall in towards the tyre mind but to push into the stanchion?

svalgis
    Free Member

Still, you stopped a bit of mud getting on your legs

face*

I fitted mine with zip ties, more secure and easier to really tighten it down to increase clearance. I taped the fork first to avoid leaving any marks (personally not that bothered but I’m not 100% convinced I’m going to keep it so want to keep second hand value high) – it should be fine anyway if you’re careful and use as wide zip ties as you can fit.

stumpy01

Hmmm. I’ve got one of these and am not massively sold on it. Yeah, it does a good job of keeping the mud/water out of your face (particularly at speed). But, doing the 24/12 last year I used one for the first time. I ended up removing it, halfway round a lap as the mud was really claggy & binding through the fender bender. It was also building up around the stanchions because of the fender bender.

Took it off, scraped the mud away & found a triangular stone with a very sharp edge embedded in the mud a few mms from my stanchions…

I’ll use it if I know it’s likely to be rock-based trails (trail centre or something) or really sloppy mud (like you normally get at Thetford). But won’t be using it for any claggy rides again.

I am thinking of doing my own plastic milk bottle version, but designing it so it attaches to the top of the fork brace, not the underside.

timraven

I am thinking of doing my own plastic milk bottle version, but designing it so it attaches to the top of the fork brace, not the underside

I ended up making one, from a plastic 5lt container, that fits into the slots at the rear of the fork brace, does the job, doesn’t reduce mud clearance and it actually stops clag accumulating round the seals/ stanchions..sorted

james
    Free Member

“Mine must have worked slightly loose and as a result has scored my stanchions”
    How?

You’ve not fitted it on top of the brace/arch?
    Does yours ‘finish’ fairly close to the fork seals and has ridden up?

Am interested that I don’t let mine do something like this. I bought mine to keep mud away from the stantions/seals as my RRP neoguard was collecting it there

rob-jackson
    Free Member

post pics please if its near the stanchions and how does it promote mud round seals??

warpcow
    Free Member

Mine sort of did that on a Magura Wotan. Because of the double brace on Magura forks any mud or grit that found it’s way near the seals was held there cos the Mucky Nutz sat where it would normally fall through. A couple of bits of gravel got in there and were held pressed against the stanchion leaving some scoring. Luckily I noticed pretty quickly. Changed to a Neoguard after that, but the Mucky Nutz has been excellent on other forks I’ve had.

dirtydog
    Free Member

I can see how the straps could scratch the lowers but not the stanchions.

I’ve had no issues with mine, in fact IMO it does a better job of keeping the crap away from the stanchions/seals than it does keeping crap out your face.

+1 for pictures

reggiegasket
    Free Member

mine goes under the brace so nowhere near the stanchions… (Lyriks)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Mine is also under the arch. Isn’t that where its meant to go?

Pikes and now Revelations

lotus777
    Free Member

ditto the 3 posts above.
    cant understand how its come into contact with the stanchions .

stumpy01

rob jackson – Member
    post pics please if its near the stanchions and how does it promote mud round seals??

In my case, the mud was really sticking to the tyre. A lot of the way round the lap the muddy bits were interspersed with harder pack areas where the mud would clear. Towards the end of the lap though, there was a long muddy section where the tyres wouldn’t clear & it was getting forced into the gap between the tyre & the fender bender. It got to the point where it had nowhere to go, so started oozing out the back of the fender bender & building up around the seals/fork legs. I think the long, thin ferny bits from the trees (like thick blades of grass) were exacerbating the problem by binding it all together.
    I kept a close eye on it and eventually thought that enough was enough, stopped to take the guard off, clear all the mud off & found the large stone packed into the mud.

I’ve used it since at Thetford and it didn’t happen to the same extent at all as the mud is much more sloppy.

I’ve tried fitting it to the 08 Reba on my Inbred & there’s not a great deal of clearance at all, so I don’t bother with it at all on there.

I’ve got Spesh tyres on both bikes and they seem to have quite high sidewalls, so I wonder if this is making the clearance more of an issue.

ivantate
    Free Member

Mine rubs the tyre when I am honking on the pedals but thats because they are stupidly large 2.4″. Was thinking of trying to fasten it to the top of the brace or with 1 top strap.

1 reason for getting it was that claggy mud has already held a stone on my stantion and scored it.

nuke

+1 for pics

Never had a problem with mud around the seals…far better at keeping mud off the seals than a Neoguard

chris_db
    Free Member

Can’t get my fender on my Revelations with Hans Dampf 2.35″ fitted! Fitted on the Fox Floats fine…

legend
    Free Member

That probably mostly to do with Hans Dampfs being fooking HUGE!

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Yeah mine has done exactly the same! It was touching the stanchions Luckily hadn’t started scoring though! Pulled it down again, but every now and then it creeps back up and causes top bit to expand and rub against stanchions so think I’m just gonna take it off and not risk it damaging them.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

three zip ties on the brace and one either side of lower leg, these are the ones that ride up the lower leg causing it to expand at the top and rub on stanchions.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Be careful with Mucky Nutz mud guard’ is closed to new replies.