Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • BC? – or CTC? – or … ?
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

any day now, i’m going to get nearly killed by a car.

it’d be nice to know i’ve got some legal help when this happens.

which organistaion should i go join? / is the least useless when it comes to sticking up for cyclists?

ourmaninthenorth

I have been a BC member for years, but time off the bike this year and I’ve let it lapse. Am considering CTC instead.

bails

I’m with BC.

Currently going through a claim and their legal people of choice seem good enough.

Never needed the 3rd party cover so can’t comment on that.

benslow
    Free Member

BC is cheaper than CTC … £24 vs £41

CTC gives you a decent 10% off at Evans and a good mag.

BC gives 10% at Halfords.

BC isn’t full of ole whingers either …

😉

StirlingCrispin

CTC actively campaigns to improve the cyclists’ lot.
    They work with the DoT, talk to ministers – all in an effort to make your life better; CTC Right-to-Ride Reps pester your local council to improve facilities (I need to respond about the plans for cycle routes to the local primary school – the proposed lanes are too narrow. If I don’t point this out, with support from CTC HQ, they’ll be dangerous and unusable).

BC members get priority booking at the velodrome.

Legal cover is the same for both organisations.

Your choice.

PS@ CTC Campaigns Director Roger Geffen is on BBC Radio 5 Live now discussing the Government’s response to the Transport Committee’s report into road safety. http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/

MrSalmon
    Free Member

CTC seem to be the go-to option for the media and policy makers, so the more clout they have the better IMO.

GrahamS

CTC have only very recently (and quite grudgingly) begun to support the idea of segregated cycle paths.

http://beta.ctc.org.uk/ctc-declares-support-for-quality-segregation-while-still-opposing-farcilities

I had stopped supporting them because of their previous policy on this, which was very much “everyone should always be able to ride on the road”

soobalias
    Free Member

i think everyone should always be able to ride on the road.

but im actually a ctc member due to Aston Hill.

GrahamS

i think everyone should always be able to ride on the road.

Well I think everyone has the right to ride on the road, and that better road safety and consideration for cyclists are good priorities.

But I don’t support that to the exclusion of segregated paths, which was the old CTC policy.

crazy-legs

CTC actively campaigns to improve the cyclists’ lot.
    They work with the DoT, talk to ministers – all in an effort to make your life better; CTC Right-to-Ride Reps pester your local council to improve facilities (I need to respond about the plans for cycle routes to the local primary school – the proposed lanes are too narrow. If I don’t point this out, with support from CTC HQ, they’ll be dangerous and unusable).

Um, BC do this as well:
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/campaigning

CTC re-branded themselves “the national cyclists CHARITY”, after it became apparent that there was confusion over the word “organisation”.

BC is the governing body of cycle sport but also runs a whole range of non-competitive programmes to improve participation, lobby parliament etc. CTC is a charitable organisation although it’s roles are largely allied with BC.

BC is £24/year though vs CTC at £41/year.

BC gives 10% at Halfords.

And an additional 12% off at Wiggle.

rootes1

CTC magazine – great for poorly researched reviews and letters on the best chain cleaning method..

As for campaigning clout – compare Times newspaper vs CTC…

I cancelled my membership. Have LCC membership instead for 3rd party cover..

Check some of the BCf memberships re 3rd party cover – some like bronze race do not cover you for commuting etc

BC def better than CTC – sometimes worth joing a local club then you get a BC discount.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘BC? – or CTC? – or … ?’ is closed to new replies.