Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • BBQ'ing fish tips (sardines + prawns)
  • mudmuncher

Hi,

Getting a bit bored with burgers and sausages so thought I’d move up a notch and try doing some BBQ fish. I’m thinking sardines and prawns.

Any tips or recipes?

I’ve watched a few youtube vids and some show the sardines whole and some filleted. If I don’t remove the guts won’t it taste bad?

jambalaya
    Free Member

IMO shrimps (large ones) best done on a metal plate if you have one on the bbq or tin foil say folded 2 or 3 times otherwise they have a habit of dropping through the grill. You can give them a quick finish directly on the grill to add a bit of colour. TBH they are ok as a novelty (with say a lime or sweet chili sauce) but wouldn’t be a centerpeice of a meal imo

If you are bored with burgers / sausages bbq marinated steaks, lamp chops or chicken legs (80% pre cooked in oven id you wish to ensure they are cooked through).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Big prawns on skewers, lightly brushed with garlic and lemon oil just before serving. Prawn ‘lollipops’ nobeerette calls em, and can demolish them by the dozen.

mudmuncher

Do you “de-vein” them first or just chuck them on?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I love prawns on the BBQ. If they’re small enough to fall through the bars then it’s time to loosen the purse strings a little*. I cook them au natural but served with flavoured butter: dill or tarragon or garlic. I think chilli’s (sweet or otherwise) too strong and gets rid of the nice sweet taste you’re paying a premium for. They’re a spectacular centre piece.

I’ve never cooked sardines but have cooked similar sized fish: top tops:

skin on to help keep it together (or one of these)

stuff their cavaties – herby, lemony, zesty, white-winey

lower heat than meats

verge on under rather than over cooked

whole fish. I’m yet to successfully BBQ a fillet as they’ve always become dry. I’ve managed in a foil parcel but didn’t get any of the BBQ flavours.

Add any stuffing with citrus juice just before cooking or you’ll end up with ceviche / BBQ and it isn’t a pleasant texture or taste.

*I’m tight so it’s an annual extravagance here

edit: I’ve never de-veined them when being cooked whole. Peeling, de-heading, de-veining (if that bothers you) should be done by the eaterers. If going into a dish then absolutely, ‘yes’.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t devein, leave heads on and suck out the brains anaw…

jimdubleyou

Try monkfish and chorizo kebabs.

Or chicken & chorizo.

Basically, anything with chorizo.

Nico
    Free Member

Fish like bass and sea bream are good bbq’d. As usual make sure the bbq isn’t just all flames and smoke. They need to be done fairly slowly. Chicken thighs are my fave for flavour. For the pudding – bbq’d bananas. Marvellous.

doris5000

so what do people cook while waiting for the heat to die down a bit? Seems a shame to waste all that good firey energy. All I normally do with that heat is chipolatas, as they’re so skinny and quick to cook…

BoardinBob

whole fish. I’m yet to successfully BBQ a fillet as they’ve always become dry. I’ve managed in a foil parcel but didn’t get any of the BBQ flavours.

Slices of lemon on the grill

Fish on top of the lemon slices

Not dry, flavoured properly, doesn’t stick

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Noted Bob. Thanks. Is it you who’s the resident professional BBQ’er?

@Doris – steak.

ocrider

With sardines, cut a little slot where you’d think the sternum would be if it was a merman, stick your finger in and pull out what you can. There’s not much inside a sardine…
    Leave the head, bones and tail, they’re more hassle than they’re worth! Sprinkle with some Provence herbs and grill fast and hot.

Re: prawns

I’ve never de-veined them when being cooked whole. Peeling, de-heading, de-veining (if that bothers you) should be done by the eaterers.

+1
    It’s a bbq? It’s finger food!
    Put them in lines on skewers and soak them in Pastis for a while before grilling. It brings out the sweetness even more.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I was on the costa del sol a few weeks ago and a number of beachfront restaurants had a roaring fire/BBQ on the beach with multiple sardines skewered horizontally onto metal/wooden skewers and the skewers then just stuck vertically into the beach close to the fire/bbq.

Timing is key I suppose i.e. not over or undercooked.

EDIT: a bit like this

pondo

Slices of lemon on the grill

Fish on top of the lemon slices

Not dry, flavoured properly, doesn’t stick
    Oh I say! You, sir, are a genius – that sounds ace. 🙂

km79
    Free Member

You can also BBQ fish wrapped in newspaper. Just keep it damp.

theotherjonv

Sardines. Brush with olive oil and then each side dabbed onto rough rock salt. Bbq hot, few mins each side and then eat with bread or new potatoes. 6-8 per person 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘BBQ'ing fish tips (sardines + prawns)’ is closed to new replies.