Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • anyone been to a school reunion?
  • rOcKeTdOg

of 83 reunion is coming up, is it just hjust gonna be people trying to out do each other or trying to cop off with someone you fancied back in the day, I mean I didn’t like some of them then, so how is now any different?

Anyone got experience of this type of thing who can convince me

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’m still friends with the ones i want to stay in touch with…

flatfish
    Free Member

I didn’t get invited to the last one a couple of months ago and i wouldn’t have gone even if i had been.
    No skin off my nose.
    One lad said he wasn’t going as he didn’t like everybody then and why should he like them now, so many people got a massive cobb on about it. T’was reet funny.

U31
    Free Member

Innit, i was forced to spend my days with over a thousand tossers, 99% of whom i couldn’t abide back then, so what would be different now?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Plus you’re not even allowed to take a pump action shotgun to em now

slowjo
    Free Member

I have always avoided them as the false bonhomie required of people who are effectively a bunch of strangers (it has been almost 30 years since I’ve seen any of them) makes me puke. As said elsewhere, I’m still friends with the ones I got on with.

dickydutch

Id sooner stick pins in my eyes than go to my school reunion.

alanl
    Free Member

I went to one a few years ago. I put my foot in it on entering, as I didnt recognise a girl from my class – she weighed 7 stone at school, she must have been at least 18 stone now!
    I got the impression that the only people who wanted to be there (rather than being polite and saying they’d nip in for half an hour like me), were the tossers who think they have done really well since leaving school, and want to brag about how good their job is, how well they have done etc, and insist on telling all around them how good they are.
    I think the same whenever I look at Friends Reunited.Loads of people who have a lovely wife/husband/kids/job/house car etc, and want to tell everyone about it.
    Alan.

RustySpanner

Always organised by the irritating, nosey girl with the cold sores who used to smell of chips and now asks everyone how much their house is worth.

The stunning doe-eyed beauty who still haunts your Reggie Perrin-esque daydreams is now the size of a Berlingo and married to some monosyllabic Neanderthal mouth-breather who runs a security company. They breed Alsations.

Someone else you liked and were hoping to meet up with again for a chat will be dead.

Your still in touch with your few real friends from back in the day and re acquaintance with the rest of your classmates will only serve to confirm why this is.

This was the impression I got from having a quick look at ‘Friends Reunited’ after being encouraged to do so by someone I’d thankfully avoided for the past twenty years.

He was working in the insurance industry at the time, although his FR profile hinted suggestively that he may have been involved in the Armed Forces.
    Knob.

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

…and the only lad you did want to catch up with won’t be there, because he erased his entire early life from all record and memory, after his Dad got sent down for raping his sister…

(sorry, but it was that way at mine)

U31
    Free Member

I s**t you not, people..
    Folk i went to school with and bump into occasionally, recognise me instantly and i’m still scratching my head wondering who the hell it could have been, days later.. 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

my year all appear to have become really pally recently. I live elsewhere. Def curious about the girls I used to fancy 😎

hels
    Free Member

Yuck no. It was a good school and I had a good crew of friends, but the other 95% of them were nasty b****es and I wouldn’t cross the road to spit on them if they were on fire.

(should probably note that it was a girls only school)

geoffj

The stunning doe-eyed beauty who still haunts your Reggie Perrin-esque daydreams is now the size of a Berlingo and married to some monosyllabic Neanderthal mouth-breather who runs a security company. They breed Alsations.
    Someone else you liked and were hoping to meet up with again for a chat will be dead.

Sounds about right. 😕

U31
    Free Member

I once took great pleasure in blowing out one girl who i used to chase (not just me, all the lads fancied her!) and never succeded as a youth, who met me on a night out in Bolton.
    Now suddenly she’s interested… Errr no way thinks i, time for some revenge! 😈
    Lead her on all night and i **** hoff home when it was just about to get spicy.
    I bumped in to her and her mates the next weekend, and they spent the night circling round trying to catch my eye.
    Dutch courage came in to play a few hours later and they came over to me and asked “why are you not talking to us, Dave?”

Me: “Because i’m sober”

U31
    Free Member

I’m buying a dress and a wig and going to go to Hels reunion…. 😈

hels
    Free Member

U31 – I think you mean “blowing off” ?!

hels
    Free Member

You should – say you are me and have had a sex change !! Sadly it will be in Wellington and I ain’t paying for the flight.

U31
    Free Member

Blowing out, around here, means “Giving the brush off, NFI, the Elbow”

As in “That ugly guy over there has been blown out more times then a windsock”

Colloquialism at it’s finest!
    This has been a public service announcement

hels
    Free Member

Well you learn something new everyday.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

I enjoyed going to mine. People grow up and it was nice to meet a couple of people who I really didn’t like as a child that now I really enjoyed talking to. But I was delighted by the fact that the girl I disliked the most couldn’t come as she was working the nightshift at the pizza factory.

Woody
    Free Member

Went to my ’25th’ a few years ago and the more interesting aspect was those who didn’t turn up and those that had obviously been told by their partners that they were not going on their own!

Everyone looked and behaved surprisingly like they did at school (were the others who perhaps hadn’t faired so well too embarrassed to turn up?) and the same ‘cliques’ formed with only brief nods/pleasantries to the others.

One of the most amusing things was going up to the bar chat to a guy I’d had a ‘proper’ scrap with – his first words were “are we going to fight?” – 26 years hadn’t dimmed the memory and his wife gave me filthy looks all the time we chatted 😆

Also highly amusing was the wistful looks in the girls/womens eyes re the school heart throb (Bryan Ferry lookalike when it was cool to look like Bryan Ferry) followed by the utter devastation when it was obvious he wasn’t coming.

Glad I went but in reality it quickly became a piss-up with people I had seen on a semi-regular basis when I went back home anyway.

U31
    Free Member

I think “blown off” implies something a bit ruder, to be honest!

atlaz
    Free Member

A load of people from my year at school got together last weekend. My first reason for not going is it’s a 600 mile round trip and generally although the ones I liked before still seem nice enough, it’s a long way to go and a decent slab of cash for a night out. For most of them it’s just a Saturday night down the pub with a bunch of old mates as they still live locally.

jon1973
    Free Member

Dad got sent down for raping his sister…

How do you drop that in to the conversation at a school reunion?

Yes, I work in IT and live in in London, oh yes and my Dad………

john_drummer
    Free Member

Nope

If there have been any, I haven’t been invited. And wouldn’t have gone anyway

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

Jon: It’d become local gossip/common knowledge a couple of years back.

hels
    Free Member

Well where I come from if you “blow someone out” you get them stoned on some nice marijuana.

If you “blow someone off” it is like giving somebody the brush off, unless you are in primary school in which case you might snigger a bit.

jon1973
    Free Member

blow someone off

😆

philconsequence
    Free Member

who needs reuinions now there’s facebook?

its satisfied any need i might develop in the future to reassure myself that i’ve succeeded and that ugly girls got hot/hot girls turned ugly as they grew up.

rOcKeTdOg

IT’s all arranged via facebook…where, even if ur not friends with someone they can still send you emails! 🙁

U31
    Free Member

Some days, i absolutely LUUUURVE S.T.W!! 😆

willard

I went to one of mine a couple of years ago, I think it was the 15 year one or something, and it was the first time I had met up with anyone since leaving the place.

Given that I parked my car (battered, rusty 4×4) in totally the wrong place, and failed to remember a lot of names, I actually had a decent time. Got to play a bit of basketball with one of my old teachers in the new courts (very nice), had a couple of beers, chatted to some of the people that I was never friends with actually at school, but which I seem to have a lot in common with now.

The only downer was that my bezzer at school was not there, and no one seems to know where he is now.

Junkyard
    Free Member

did not go to mine dont see thepoint you lost touch there is a reason for this. Still proper mates with 5 people from school days and bump into another 10 or so regularily. I could not care less what they are up to or how their lives panned out.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I left school in 92, 5 out of 30 of them are dead, 7 of them I keep in touch with on a regular basis, the remainder I couldn’t care less what they are doing.

DezB
    Free Member

30 years since I left school and I’ve only ever bumped into 1 person from my year. A re-union was arranged probably 10 years ago, by a girl who was ok, but I think only 5 people were going to attend so it was binned off.
    Can’t see one happening ever now.
    If there was I might go, just to show how I haven’t aged and got fat like they all have 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

School was a difficult, stressful, tense time. No real desire to see how fat, old and bald my acquaintances have become, just to remind me of how irrevocably lost my youth is.

andytherocketeer

You’re still in touch with your few real friends from back in the day and re acquaintance with the rest of your classmates will only serve to confirm why this is.

Pretty much sums it up.
    Not really in touch with ex-schoolfriends so much now, but there’s a handful that I’d have a beer with and catch up on old times. And then we’d go our own way afterwards. But I wouldn’t go to an organised reunion.

Freindsreunited was just a temporary phase of “oh great to hear from you, what are you up to these days, I’m doing XYZ”, and then it was all back to normality. But I did learn that half the people married their best mate’s sister, had 3 kids, then divorced to marry a girl from class 5E (who had been married to and divorced from their best mate). Glad I got out.

Still in contact with a few Uni friends though, but that’s mainly due to partaking in the same hobby and/or working in the same business area.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I missed my 20 year reunion last weekend due to a friend’s wedding. I was gutted to not be going – judging by facebook, I’m the only one that’s not doubled in weight and gone bald. And that goes for most of the women too!

Photos were posted on FB, and I’m glad I didn’t go. There’s something unsettling about seeing that those lithe, nubile hotties that you used to cop off with have turned into haggered old dogs.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ah school reunions! It’s just a great time for nostalgia. Remembering all the sneaky cigarettes and fingering the girls behind the bike sheds. Oh yes, that caretaker’s job was the best I ever had

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘anyone been to a school reunion?’ is closed to new replies.