Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • BB92 adaptor to fit square taper crank
  • birdl123
    Free Member

Please help

I am about to buy a new bike which has got a BB92 bottom bracket. I was hoping to install the chain set off my existing bike to the new bike but the existing chain set is square taper.

Is there an adaptor kit available or any way of fitting this chain set to the BB92 bottom bracket?

I really don’t want to buy a new chain set as my current one is relatively new and good too.

Thanks

Lee

schmiken

Nope. You need a Hollowtech 2 system. Sell your existing one and pick up a cheap SLX from On-One/Rose/actionsports.

birdl123
    Free Member

Thanks, I have seen bb30 to BSA adaptors, there must be one for the BB92 somewhere, it seems such a waste to have to get rid of the chain set. It matches my hubs, so new chain set will mean new wheels.

Oh well I suppose someone will be the lucky buyer of all my white industries kit

Basil

Me no expert but I got an adaptor for GPX to fit BB92 from Jenson USA. So there may be other adaptors?

birdl123
    Free Member

That’s what I mean, surely some manufacturers have thought of this. I will have to keep searching the tinternet.

birdl123
    Free Member

Bump – someone must know of something that will work.

birdl123
    Free Member

If I can’t use my existing crank, what single speed specific crank/chain set would you suggest for the BB92 setup?

njee20
    Free Member

Why would you have to change your hubs purely because they match!?

There isn’t an adapter – BB30 is different as the shell is larger, so you can get a reducer in, BB92 is a standard diameter shell, there’s nowt you can do.

As for a replacement I’d say SLX and fit your current ring.

birdl123
    Free Member

Thanks for your help. I suppose changing the hubs is a bit daft, just me being picky I suppose as it all matches at the minute

Seen some Spinergy wheels on the web, are they any good. I ride xc single speed.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I honestly can’t see any company wasting their time making converters for Square taper. (I could be wrong)

But you could look at having some press fit sleeves made with the OD of the BB92 and ID of a THREADLESS square taper BB.

Or look into getting OD of some DMR wondercups being machined down to BB92,

If you wheels are good stop being a tart and stick with em.

njee20
    Free Member

Spinergy haven’t really innovated much in wheels for a very long time, if they’re even still doing them… I’d not use them, they were stupidly expensive, the one person I know who had some had the effectively bin them because he couldn’t get a freehub body, from anywhere. You won’t get a Spinergy chainset, so they won’t match, so why not just stick with what you have?

Stop being daft, use your existing wheels, and buy a new chainset! Or if you’re that precious buy a frame that can take a square taper BB…

What are these cranks that must be held onto?

birdl123
    Free Member

Thanks all, I have matching polished – White Industries, Chainset, Crank, Square Taper BB, Freewheel and Hubs. Hence why I was hoping to keep it all.

My next plan is to keep the hubs, build onto some new rims (moving to 29er from 26) with the existing freewheel but change the sprocket (which is possible with the WI freewheel as its all servicable and changeable), sell the chainset, crank, BB. Then either try and find a nice polished chainset or just a nice good one.

njee20
    Free Member

Get some Jones XTR M960s, or do a DIY copy.

birdl123
    Free Member

TOP MAN…. I had not heard of these before.

Just googled them but it appears they are not that easily sourced.

Any ideas where is best to buy them from. Jeff Jones site is currently under modification so cant see a product list.

schmiken

Do it yourself, there’s some good sites showing you how to.

birdl123
    Free Member

Do you have any links to them. Also is it a problem getting hold of 102 mm chain rings. I can only find middle burn ones?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘BB92 adaptor to fit square taper crank’ is closed to new replies.