Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • BB5 elastic band
  • UrbanHiker
    Free Member

My BB5’s originally came fitted with a metal spring that pushed the pads apart, and a little elastic band that pulled to the two outer ends of the pads together. None of the pads I’ve bought since then have come with the band, although they come with the metal spring spreader. The bands worn out now.

OK without it?

cyclistm
    Free Member

I’ve fitted many bb5s and never seen the band to which you refer. Should be fine with out

otsdr
    Free Member

Probably a set of returned pads or something? In the package they are tied together with some wire, probably it was replaced with the elastic band.

l.e. Nvm, actually the BB7 ones are tied, the BB5s are just vacuum packed. Still, there shouldn’t be any elastic band on your pads, as it could theoretically melt/burn and gunk the pads.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Pretty sure it looks like it should be there, and the ends of the pad arms are shaped so look like it should fit there.

Will try and get a photo up.

plyphon
    Free Member

Probably packaging, nothing in the MTB world would use an elastic band for anything mission critical.

If you google image “BB7 pads” none of them have any band.

swhoward

My BB5s came fitted on my bike from new and there were no elastic bands on them. I know what you mean about the shape though.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

None on any of my BB5s. Or any of the BB5s i’ve ever worked on, or fitted.

It’s probably just been used to hold the pair of pads together so they don’t get lost. Or to stop the spring getting lost.
    Or maybe someone has tried to bodge a fix for something (rattling pads maybe?)

jamj1974

They are that shape to allow you to grip them easily. There should be no elastic band attached.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘BB5 elastic band’ is closed to new replies.