Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • bb30 press in bottom brackets,your thoughts please
  • neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a new specialized stumpy frame but it is bb30 type.are the bottom brackets durable/reliable. anyone had any problems with bb30.cheers

slinkybike
    Free Member

Is it press fit bb30 or bb30.

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

It’s a pf bb30

Tiger6791

They seem like they could be the Betamax of bottom brackets.

dantsw13

If you ride muddy conditions don’t bother, unless you fancy replacing them a lot.

Speshpaul

I’ve not changed one in either my road or stumpy yet (and we’ve gone straight from winter to the rainy season missing out the mansoons this year)
    But they are easy to change, light, and cheap (parkers do them for £24)
    So i wouldn’t let one stop me from buying a frame. If you really hated them you can get a conversion to HT2 (FSA)

FuzzyWuzzy

Whilst I’m not entirely convinced by the arguments for press-fit BBs I don’t really see them as any more susceptible to failure due to wet/muddy conditions – that’s surely just down to the sealing used in particular models?
    I have a Zesty which was probably the best selling of the early press-fit BB bikes and it gets slated a lot for BBs not lasting long – however that’s not the BB that’s the problem it’s the fact the frame itself holds water in the BB area so unless you drain it you’re BB is basically submerged in water all the time (from the inside where presumably the sealing probably isn’t as good anyway). I bought my Zesty in June 09, changed the BB 4 or 5 months later (before reading about the water trapping issue) and my second BB is still going (although now on it’s last legs) and it’s the bog standard XT level Shimano BB not some fancy expensive uber-sealed model.

So in summary it wouldn’t concern me at all about buying a bike with a press-fit BB (although having the tools helps as well…). BB30 has other issues though from what I’ve read (relating to Boardmans and Cannondales anyhow).

Speshpaul

“BB30 has other issues though from what I’ve read (relating to Boardmans “
    Again thats an issue with the frame and its prep, not the BB.
    I don’t know about cannondales

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Matt24k
    Free Member

It would put me off buying a frame. BB30 pf seems like a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist to me. More a case of wanting to come up with something new rather than needing to come up with something better.
    My concern is that they seem to need changing more frequently and that gives more opportunity to damage the frame. At least with HT2 you can replace the cups if the bearing surface interface gets damaged or even have the frame helicoiled if the frame threads get damaged.
    I just wonder if it will be possible to machine out the frames on BB30 pf bottom brackets to fit sleeves to get them back to the correct size if they get damaged. This assumes it is not carbon.

STATO
    Free Member

PFBB30 is cheap for frame manufacturer. Sadly the SRAM BB seems to be poor, it has sealed bearings and extra bearing shields but if you get it very wet it’ll probably die, a bit like when everyone changed over to external BB’s (tho we hardly see any threads about replacing them these days?)

Thankfully! Enduro now make a PFBB30, ill be getting one of those when my current SRAM one dies (tho it seems to be ok for now, 7months old).

mattmbk
    Free Member

I’ve got BB30 on my Cannondale CaadX cyclocross bike, it’s been replaced 3 times in 7 months, done just under 3000 miles.
    Mates Cube cx purchased at the same time, similar mileage has normall BB and is still on the original.

billyboy
    Free Member

BB have been 34.8 for ages. That’s mainstream English thread,there is an Italian…36??? which has r/h threads both sides, and an odd French sizing from way back, but by far the mainstream is 34.8. Now the headless chickens who design things are taking you off at ever more different tangents. The question is, will the industry keep supplying BB30s? Quite some several other things are now unavailable from Shimano. Try finding a caliper replacement for the previous batch of shimano hydraulic brakes! They have no compunction in inventing stuff and then pulling the rug from under you once they have your money….and you will end up with a frame that you cannot get a bb for.
    They do seem to fail faster aswell………..

I’d not bother

smiff
    Free Member

what size are the bearings in a PF BB30? unless the shell is lots bigger, the bearings must be lots smaller, and that’s bad. i think 24mm axle is probably stiff enough anyway?

lipseal
    Free Member

I’m on my second PF30 sram one and second crank set. 👿
    First one the PF30 failed and ruined my crank spindle, luckily I had an SLX set and used the problem solvers on the second PF30. This PF30 was fitted at the end of April and is only about 8 rides old, some muddy some wet, and have found the none drive side bearing gritty.
    I’ve managed to get it going but will keep an eye on it for the next few months. I have an FSA PF30 one waiting on stand-by with an FSA crank set, so will fit that next.
    If that fails then I will try the press fit adapter that use BSA thread so you can fit an external type bb.
    😐

jimification
    Free Member

I think the main advantage is for the frame: Frame width, especially around the BB / chainstay is limited by Q factor. BB30 allows the BB shell to take up the full width of the bearings, giving a wider platform to attach the seattube, downtube and chainstays. Should make for a frame that’s stiffer side to side.

Offhand, the bearings are pretty similar size to HT2, maybe slightly bigger.

whatgoesup

I’ve got an On-One Whippet which uses a pressfit BB30 (a FSA unit in my case). Overall great for being light, but the FSA units seem to have very limited capability to deal with mud & dirt.

The original unit died after a few months, I got a reduced price one from On-One as a “sympathetic warranty” replacement, was fine for a while, but one very wet and muddy (axle deep puddles) ride last week and then the bearing was graunchy, stripping down and there is rust coming out of the bearings… Long story short is that I now see the bike as being a “fine weather only” bike which rather limits its use.

There appears to be very little sealing between the bearings and the outside world – just the rubber lip seal of the bearing itself, plus one thin metal seal and that’s it. It’s not a failing of the BB30 system, so hopefully there are better units out there – any advise on which perform better would be very welcome

damo2576
    Free Member

Also make manufacture of carbon frame easier

brooess
    Free Member

My BB30 on my Time carbon road frame is fine. Was loose for a while but the LBS fixed it. No probs over 2 years. Waaaay stiff 🙂

AdamT

I run a kcnc reducer/bearing to allow me to use HTII cranks. This is still super smooth after about 3500 miles. Granted this is on a road bike so doesn’t have quite so much muck thrown at it.

ChrisE
    Free Member

I love my BB30s. I buy bearings from Ebay for about £15 for 10 bearings. Change them once or twice a year (takes 5 mins). Very stiff.

Have them on 3 scalpels, one F4000 and a Synapse

C

tenfoot

FuzzyWuzzy – Member

….. the frame itself holds water in the BB area so unless you drain it you’re BB is basically submerged in water all the time (from the inside where presumably the sealing probably isn’t as good anyway). I bought my Zesty in June 09, changed the BB 4 or 5 months later (before reading about the water trapping issue) and my second BB is still going (although now on it’s last legs) and it’s the bog standard XT level Shimano BB not some fancy expensive uber-sealed model.

Can I ask you how you drain the water from the frame? I was advised by Evans to store the bike upside down when I’ve been out in the rain, but I can’t see where the water would run to. Thanks.

whatgoesup

ChrisE – can you share a link or some info for the bearings you’re buying?
    A stock of inexpensive bearings would make my concerns go away

cheers_drive

Can I ask you how you drain the water from the frame? I was advised by Evans to store the bike upside down when I’ve been out in the rain, but I can’t see where the water would run to. Thanks.
    In my experience the water comes in via the seat tube slot. I’ve put electrical tape over the slot and fitted a neoprene headset protector on the seatpost above the seat post clamp and that has stopped the problem.
    My experience of the Zesty pressfit BBs are the same as FuzzyWuzzy’s, Enduro bearings with the extra red seal do appear to be a big improvement too.

FuzzyWuzzy

I just take the seatpost out and hold the bike upside down and shake it about a bit (only after a wet ride or when it’s been cleaned). I know some people have drilled the BB shell to allow it to drain but I haven’t bothered with that myself.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I do not like the idea of a press fit into the frame with something that may be removed a lot over the lifetime of the frame – asking for wear in a non replacable part

69er
    Free Member

dantsw13 – Member
    If you ride muddy conditions don’t bother, unless you fancy replacing them a lot

Spot on for mountain bikes then!

I’m personally quite liking these 😉 :

20 years of all weather riding (including mud 😮 ) and still going strong. If it ain’t broke…..

andytherocketeer

Thought that’s (partly) why BB30 (with machined grooves and snap rings) had already changed to Pressfit BB30 (less machining, plus the replaceable/consumable part is plastic).

Lose the ability to use a BB mounted chain device, etype mech etc too.

Pressed bearings might be handy on a mass production line, but I’ll stick with my HT2 for now tyvm.

Speshpaul

“TandemJeremy – Member
    I do not like the idea of a press fit into the frame with something that may be removed a lot over the lifetime of the frame – asking for wear in a non replacable part “

That’s good enough for me then If TJ doesn’t like the idea pushing plastic bearing case in to a alloy sleeve the whole concept must be madness.

69er, you are not wrong, my other bikes still run ST, but its getting more and more limiting with what you can fit them to. I’ve got a a lovely TA BB sitting in a drawer, 68mm shell. That doesn’t cover many frame.
    And having just built up a another frame with with BB30 a XT group set for £320 makes a Royce BB at what a ton ten look a little rich:-)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘bb30 press in bottom brackets,your thoughts please’ is closed to new replies.