Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • BB choices and lifespan
  • mjsmke

My Sram GXP BB is clicking intemitently which is dissapointing after only about 600 miles. Whats more dissapointing is that a 3k bike comes with such a low quality bb. Anyway how reliable are the GXP adapters if I bought a Hope bb?

kristoff
    Free Member

I’ve been running a hope ceramic bb with the gxp adapters pressed in for the last 18months ish. They’ve not moved and the bb is still as smooth as the day I got it.

ricky1
    Free Member

I’ve interestingly today just put an ultegra road Bb in my Santa Cruz superlight,my recent be (deore of nature lasted about 800 miles which I think is ok for rain,sleet,snow,grit,sand ect.
    The guy who sold it to me sais they are very hard wearing and no different to any other,he knows his stuff so I have faith,hope would be my choice if I had bill gates pockets but I need my money to fund my new build….

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Is your BB shell threaded or press-fit ?

matts
    Free Member

I ran an Ultegra BB in my daily commuter bike for 3 years. You can even pull them apart and service them if you’re careful. I’ve also had a King BB in my race bike for 5 years. Then I had a Tune BSA30 BB go south in a few hundred K.

The problem with all BBs is that any alignment issue with the bearings kills them in no time. Whether that’s facing of the BB shell, cups that aren’t machined to tight enough tolerances, or just a slightly mis-fitted bearing. Add that to them being right in the firing line of crap shot up from your front wheel, and there not in a happy place.

mjsmke

Its threaded.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anyway how reliable are the GXP adapters if I bought a Hope bb?

My oldest one has done about 5 years and is still in the frame hanging up.
    2 years into my other Hope BB/GXP no issues
    Other one did 3-4 years and now sits in the spares box.

miketually
    Free Member

I put a square taper BB one of my bikes in 2007. Not sure how many miles is done but Strava says 1800km logged on that bike in the last three years, and its done loads of commuting that I’ve not logged.

ferrals
    Free Member

You’ve done well getting 600 miles out of it. My last one lasted a month before the bearings disintegrated 🙁

Think I need to get something different too next time

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as good as they are Mike it does reduce your crank choice there
    From Strava
    Allez Elite 2,598.2 km Road HTII BB
    Blur LTc 2,397.2 km 1 year 11 months – Hope BB
    Heckler 2,723.2 km about 1/3 of it’s life not logged – Hope BB
    No bearing changes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘BB choices and lifespan’ is closed to new replies.