Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Battery grips
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Who uses one for their DSLR and why?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Me, on my D300:

– fits my hands better
    – much easier for portrait shots
    – better balanced with big lenses
    – holds additional batteries for longer life
    – give 8fps (sequences or spray and pray action photos)

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I do too on my D90, for pretty much the reasons gravity-slave says, but also because if you have both batteries die on you, it’ll take AA batteries too

molgrips
    Free Member

How does the grip improve burst shooting?

I am getting it simply to help hand-holding my long zoom lens, and it’s only 30 quid.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

me,

If I’m shooting vertically, there’s a second set of controls at right angles to the ones on the body.Better balance with heavy lenses and it fits my hand more comfortably.

If I’m shooting multiple exposures for merging into HDR images( which I do a lot), it’s easier to keep the camera stable,shake free and in the same position for each exposure

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Tried more than once, but just don’t like them and would rather carry a couple of spare batteries.

Also seen a couple of cases where the grip has got stuck on the camera, seems the internal thumbwheel gears on the Canon are plastic and strip all too easily.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is your name really Tadeus?

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

Yup,Polish parents and my name really is Tadeusz. Pain in the bum at school.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Strange how companies alwyas quote the max fps and then you find out its only when gripped that speed is obtainable.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah right. I was gonna say, isn’t it normally Thaddeus?

Alphabet

Me. For mainly the same reasons as gravity-slave.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I like it, Battery Grips has a good ring to it. It is for a boy though right?

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

I’m definitely Tad and not Thad:) it’s pronounced “Tad”, as in TADpole and “eusz” as in SoYUZ.:)

molgrips
    Free Member

Thaddeus is pronounced Tad too though, surely?

molgrips
    Free Member

I like it, Battery Grips has a good ring to it. It is for a boy though right?

Yeah – first two names are going to be Assault And.

DezB
    Free Member

“eusz” as in SoYUZ

So it’s pronounced Tad-so-yuz ?

Cool. What’s this thread about?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

How does the grip improve burst shooting?

The D300 only does 5fps with a standard battery but with 8 AA’s in the grip, it can do 8fps. Something to do with having more voltage, I guess.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

The Tad bit is pronounced the same, but spelt differenter. And the Eusz bit is spelt and said differently, though not much. Thaddeus,IIRC is just the anglicised version of it, or vice versa.

Could we got off the etymology of my name now please?

My Sony A550 will shoot 7fps with or without the battery grip,So I’m not sure the voltage/current has a massive amount to do with it apart from eating batteries faster.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I only get 4fps.

user-removed
    Free Member

I use one on a D300. Used to get real pain in my right wrist after a day of shooting at weddings, where perhaps a third of all the shots were portrait orientation. The grip just means a much more natural shooting position.

And yes, the increased fps rate comes in handy for shooting dogs / bikes at high speed!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Saw the ‘weddings’ bit and skim read

And yes, the increased fps rate comes in handy for shooting dogs / bikes at high speed!

as
    And yes, the increased fps rate comes in handy for shooting dogs / brides at high speed!

Oooops!!!

ski
    Free Member

Use a cheap ebay version on my D90

Mostly to make the camera handle better for portraits.

Came with two spare rechargable batteries and a remote for £40!

Only issue is that you cannot sit the camera down on its base without it wanting to fall over with a lens on!

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I have it. It’s very large for my camera, perhaps it’s aimed at the larger E3 I dunno.

Still it’s a lovely bit of kit. There’s even a place to stick the original cover for the battery compartment that you have to remove 🙂

It does help quite a bit with handling the zoom lens though, which is the reason I got it.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

Good aren’t they? I’ve got a little cubby on mine for sticking the battery cover in as well ,right bugger to get out sometimes though. I was convinced I was going to break the cover or the grip trying to get it out again this afternoon.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Battery grips’ is closed to new replies.