Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Battery acid spill inside car – how to neutralise?
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

I spilled battery acid in my car boot a few weeks back. Searched the web and it said put lots bicarbonate of soda powder on it to kill the acid.

Did this, then removed as much of the powder after as I could, but as weather was damp and the powder was damp from the acid, some remained stuck to the carpet and despite scrapping it still was embedded. I realised I could not remove the remainder until the weather got hotter, when indeed it turned back to dust.

I had to cover up the spillage/powder remains with a dust sheet in order to use the boot. I cannot take the carpet out to clean or wash it due to the design of the boot – it would mean destroying large bits of car, due to the carpet being glued down to board and suchlike.

Now the weather is hot I have been able to remove most powder residue, but the dust sheet has been eaten to rags by the acid or alkaline – the carpet oddly appears ok. The car smells slightly of something a bit like vinegar which I guess is the acid remains. All the inside is dry now and vacuumed out.

I am really worried though that anything I put in there (ie bikes, shopping, tools) may continue to get damaged by the chemical residues, esp as winter comes on and its all more damp in vehicles.

Any suggestions what I do next to try to resolve this? I cant find any other info on internet or any place.

wwaswas

one of those vax type cleaners that dispense water and then suck it back up again.

lots of repeated rinsing with that will dilute the acid down.

or just use a ‘wet’ vacuum cleaner and pour water on the affected area before vacuuming.

get some litmus papoer to test once you’re done.

jota180
    Free Member

Plenty of water

fizzicist
    Free Member

The carpet is probably okay as the backing will be rubber & Sulphuric Acid (battery acid) doesn’t attack rubber.

To fix it properly, the bad news is the carpet needs to come out and be thoroughly washed. The Sodium Bicarb will have largely nuetralised the acid but there will be other bits of Acid which haven’t been hit by the Bicarb.

Your only other choice is keep dousing everything available in Sodium Bicarb and vacuum it up a lot. This may kill your hoover.

Just don’t get tempted to clean it with toilet bleach or anything stupid! Sodium Carbonate or Bicarbonate are the way to go.

Sandwich

Dissolve bicarb in the tax machine and rinse the carpet through. Use several changes of water with bicarb in before using plain water. The acid will have destroyed the dust sheet.

jonba
    Free Member

Can you remove the carpet?

If so just hose it down with lots and lots of water.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Thanks for ideas.

I cant take the carpet and what its attached to out. I cant wash it with a hose as the back of the car will just fill up like a water tank.

I have been able to put a bit of water on it in the very hot weather but not sure if that helps – it needs the heat to dry it out or I will get damp and mould as well.

The water and suck it up vacuum sounds possible – except I don’t have one. Anyone know if its possible to rent one?

jota180
    Free Member

I cant take the carpet and what its attached to out. I cant wash it with a hose as the back of the car will just fill up like a water tan

Don’t cars have drain plugs any more?
    I don’t tend to muck around with them these days

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The water and suck it up vacuum sounds possible – except I don’t have one. Anyone know if its possible to rent one?

“Rug doctor” from just about anywhere

Also IIRC normal no-bio washing powder is quite basic?

fizzicist
    Free Member

Don’t get too clever with detergents – you need a mild alkali which is readily water soluble. If you stick a load of rug doctor on or something, you’ll just get acidic foam!

jam-bo

sell the car.

nealglover
    Free Member

If you dont have a Wet Vac, You need a car Valeter.

Where are you ?

wwaswas

Don’t get too clever with detergents

ah, too late:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Battery acid spill inside car – how to neutralise?’ is closed to new replies.