Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Bathroom – shower mixer w/combi boiler
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Is it a no-no to use a mixer with a combi boiler? (i.e. the old too hot/too cold thing)

I’d assumed a thermostatic mixer would be better, but a mixer would solve a few issues in my new ensuite.

crikey
    Free Member

Put ‘mixer shower for combi boiler’ into google; looks like your problem isn’t a new one.

mintimperial

We had one in our old place, an ancient non-thermostatic thing, nothing fancy. Worked fine. About the only thing that did in that heap…

Pickers

We have one, fairly basic Gainsborough jobbie I think but works a treat with our combi. Think it has to have a modulating burner though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ours works fine – just a straight-forward mixer. Only problem is water pressure dropping if another tap/appliance is switched on. Or if a neighbour switches a tap on – but that is due to our specific shonky shared supply.

supremebean
    Free Member

Should be fine, never had a problem yet fitting a mixer with a combi.

Bear
    Free Member

most of the better ones will be fine but needs to be thermostatic and ideally suitable for a combi.

nwilko
    Free Member

unless you have low water mains pressure it will be fine..

wrightyson
    Free Member

Bought one and fitted a year ago, warning on the box saying its not thermostatic, made **** all difference to be fair over the 100 quid more expensive one that it replaced! Basic triton one from b and q.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Really don’t agree that they have to be thermostatic sorry.

supremebean
    Free Member

Nope they dont mf. i have fitted hundreds over the years that were just mixers. no probs.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers all, decent water pressure so that opens up a few options.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Cheaper ones as well al!

totalshell

the water pressure is not the issue what delivers a decent shower is water flow and the hot water flow is dictated by the combi it has a fixed unvariable out put so a big shower head small combi will produce a cold dripping shower whereas a large boiler large showere head will take your skin off and really wake you up.. the combi is the key
    really you need 11.5 litres per min for a half decent std shower head something 6 – 8 inches across and you ll need 15 lts per minute to get that real wow factor

Bear
    Free Member

Sorry but have to disagree, you shouldn’t be trying to use that much water, there are options that will deliver a good shower at lower flow rates. Yes nice to have these powerful showers etc but some of them use more water than baths.

I never fit anything other than a thermostatic shower unless directed by customer. Why would you risk scalding someone?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Have to agree with Bear

Al, what’s the advantage to you of a mixer rather than a thermostat controlled unit?

ScotlandTheScared

I’m with Bear on this one. I had the same thoughts as you and in the end decided it wasnt worth scalding anyone by accident so I fitted a thermostatic setup. I would rather have piece of mind than save a few quid.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have had a combi boiler and a cheapo mixer shower for 10 years and have so far managed to not scald myself.

I can see the advantages of a thermostatic mixer but as said above – I don’t agree that it *needs* to fitted. If the water gets too hot I use that tap called ‘Cold’ and more cold water is mixed in. It’s really very clever.

😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

No children then?

Bear
    Free Member

MF – clue is you never scalded yourself. sounds like you may live on your own, other users in property will affect a shower, and if in an area of poor water supply even other properties can affect you. We are also coming at it from a professional point of view. Mixers are compulsory for all new baths etc.

totalshell

Bear.STS.PS agree with you 100% was replying to the post above mine that felt all that was needed was water pressure, of course a thermostatic shower is the only appropriate fitting

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Wife, two children and often have guests. None of us have ever burned ourselves to be honest.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And I did say in my first post that it is a faff if another tap or appliance is switched on but still manage not to burn ourselves.

The current boiler is a Worcester Bosch, can’t remember name of last one but never had scalding issues with either.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta again…benefits are cost and cleaner/cheaper install really…I have ordered a couple of bath valves and a waste-type filler, not sure whether to keep it and what type of shower to go for.

I have a lodger, soon to be 2, so maybe a thermostatic is better.

nwilko
    Free Member

as prior post standard mixer shower with decent mains pressure is fine, adjust boiler water temp such that the hot taps get hotter than you would like to use to wash pots in sink. thus youve got plenty of hot going into mixer and you can choose not set temp down by mixing in some cold when in shower.
    if you still are worried before you buy an expensive thermo mixer goto the pound shop (other junk shops also suitable) and buy an old school rubber push on shower head like your nan used in the bath fit to the taps and see what happens.. think youll find a normal mixer will work fine..

paulosoxo
    Free Member

benefits are cost

Al, not sure of the quality, Bear will tell you better, but this is £40!

http://www.bathempire.com/economy-thermostatic-bar-mixer-valve–shower_p4030314.htm

TheBrick
    Free Member

I thought water regs said something about a maximum hot water output temp of 60 deg C?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers Paul

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Bathroom – shower mixer w/combi boiler’ is closed to new replies.