• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bathroom relocation – ball park estimate please
  • Earl
    Free Member

We are in a std 2 up 2 down terrace property. Upstairs we have 2 bedrooms and a large bathroom that pokes out the back (above the kitchen).

We want to partition a part of the large front bedroom and relocate the bathroom in there then turn the existing bathroom into a 3rd bedroom. The 3 bedroom will need insulating.

Never had building work done before. Can anyone give me a ball park figure ie 5/10/15 grand?

Much thanks

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Won’t be cheap I don’t think, I’m presuming you won’t have a soil stack at the front of the house so drains getting rid of the waste water will be your biggest hastle along with getting the water supplies moved to the front too.

We’re just refitting our bathroom to a reasonable standard (ie. branded suite and mid price tiling etc and we’re getting close to 2 grand with me doing all the work. As a very ball park figure I would guess over £8k but it could be more.

Best way is to get a rough quote from a plumber / builder and see if it’s affordable.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would say at lest ten grand – you need planning and building warrents, stud walls and a door putting in, drainage could well be an issue

guestimate only tho

matttromans
    Free Member

There are several types of std 2 up 2 down terrace houses – some basic floor plans would be of help. Friends of mine have looked inot similar options in the past, but once drawn have found that the upstairs layout becomes very inefficient due to the amount of corridor you need to gain access to each room. The position of the stairs usually governs what is and isn’t feasible. Also need to consider position of existing windows, ventilation etc.

As mentioned above, getting the waste out will be your biggest problem and may involve more intrusive work to the ground floor than you had bargained for. Doesn’t mean it can’t be done though. Water supply should be easier to achieve, but still needs to be thought through.

Is an attic conversion not do-able?

Earl
    Free Member

Gulp – thanks folks.
    Valley roof so can’t go up. Cant go down either.

nealglover
    Free Member

Which way do your floor Joists run ?

Front to back would be an advantage for soil pipe routing.

grantway
    Free Member

Normally a third less than a good kitchen.

totalshell

waste is not a problem.. use a macerator and stuff the thing down the original soil pipe getting water in again no probs.. stud wall/ electrics/ piping/ plaster board/ plaster/ tile bath basin shower loo tile job done

the price of the suite will be a decider on final value suites available from 200 to 20000 the choice is yours..

rest of the work i’d budget on 5k materials and labour plus tiles and suite/ taps.. ( assuming you ll do decorating as a minimum..)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Don’t forget the power shower.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I was thinking 5k but totalshell beat me to it.

where are you? my guesstimate is based on north west prices, i’m in manchester

meehaja
    Free Member

Dont get a Macerator. Don’t. NO No NO! NO!

If it costs an extra grand and means ripping all teh floor up throughout the whole house to plumb it properly do that. Don\t get a macerator. Don’t.

NO!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Agrees with meehaja – maceraters are the work of the devil himself.

Whatever you do, don’t scrimp. I would reckon £8/£10k ish

spudly1979
    Free Member

Planning and building warrants? Not sure you’d need those for an internal alteration surely? Plus warrant only applies in Scotland to my understanding?
    As literally everyone has mentioned – soil stack will be the main issue. Do you have any front garden or is it straight onto the street? If its street – you’ll have to gain permission to cut through the pavement for the pipe?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That won’t be a problem though – just have to use a council-approved contractor (read someone comfortably in bed with someone from the council ) and pay a 100% premium for the privilege…

Earl
    Free Member

No front garden so straight into the footpath/street. There is a house a few doors up who has a bathroom where we want ours but they bought it like that.

Thanks for the replys

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bathroom relocation – ball park estimate please’ is closed to new replies.