Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bathroom fitter installed a new extractor fan. Electrical paperwork?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

So, he removed and old extractor from the wall and instead, fitted one in the loft. He’s obviously had to work on the upstairs lighting circuit to do that.

Should he have provided a document stating what he’s done and that he’s competent to do so? He says no, I think he should. I’m sure the guy who did the garage door ten years ago did just that for the spur he put in.

rwamartin
    Free Member

The requirements in Wales are a bit stricter than in England (assuming that’s where you are). Here the bathroom is a “special location” and would require notification to building control if it’s not a like for like replacement. Regardless, it would be good practice to do a “minor works certificate” which has identified what has been done and the tests that have been carried out.
    I’m not sure bathrooms are special locations any more in England, but I would still have expected a minor works certificate.
    My concerm would be that a) what’s happend to the existing wiring to the fan? Has he made it safe by disconnecting it from the supply? If so, fine, if not is it out of zone and propery terminated so it’s safe?
    b) what circuit has he tapped into? Is it RCD protected? Is the cable properly protected given the current carrying capacity?

The stuff in b) would be covered on the minor works certificate. The stuff in a) would be relying upon his professionalism and could only be verified by a visual check on his work.

I would say that you would be within your rights to ask for a minor works certificate.

Any questions, just ask.

Rich.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers Rich. You’re right, I am in England. I thought a small works cert should be forthcoming.

TheGingerOne

I am pretty sure a minor works certificate is required for any electrical work nowadays.

If he is not certified, you would need a certified electrician to come and inspect it to get the certificate (I think). Whenever you come to sell the house, you would either need to lie on the form and pretend the work was never carried out or provide \ get a cert.

This link might help

rwamartin
    Free Member

To be fair, he might have just cut off the cable down to the fan, pulled it up and made the connection to the inline fan. If that’s the case I’m not sure many electricians would do a minor works for that.

My concerns would primarily be whether the work has been done to a good standard. The issuing of a minor works certificate is probably not too much of an issue given that it’s probably not notifiable being in England.

The only advantage of the certificate is if you came to sell the house and a very switched on surveyor saw it as being modified and the solicitor wanted confirmation that it was correctly carried out.

I would also guess that he’s just made the connection and not done any testing anyway so he’s probably got nothing to put on it.

If it’s not notifiable and he isn’t required to be part of one of the “schemes” ie NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA etc. and if that’s the case he’s under no obligation to do one.

My view is that if you can take a look at what he’s done and you’re happy with the workmanship it’s not worth falling out with him over.

If you want to post photos I’m happy to give an opinion on it.

Rich.

rwamartin
    Free Member

Ok, a bit of research indicates that in England a bathroom/shower room is a “special location” but only if the work is done within one of the 3 zones. Essentially, if the fan is >60cm from the edge of the bath/shower tray or higher than 2.25m then it’s outside the zones and not notifiable.

Rich.

project
    Free Member

on 3 seperate occasions in the last 10 years, nearly being electrocuted by people telling the wires are dead as the plumber/electrician /who ever cut them off, i now check all cables with a mains tester.

at least with your bit of paper you have proof should someone be electrocuted.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve not been in the loft to look at the work yet. I asked that the old fan be removed from the south bathroom wall including the isolator. The new fan is in the loft on the west wall and I asked for the isolation to be local to that.

What set alarm bells ringing for me is that I asked for an over-run timer to be fitted but on the day of the race, he claimed he couldn’t find a permanent live in the loft to run the timer.

Makes me think he’s either very lazy or incompetent. Either way, I’m not having him back for anything else. At least a certificate might help convince me he’s just lazy.

House was built in 1995 so I can’t imagine there’s isn’t an upstairs lighting circuit running around in the loft.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bathroom fitter installed a new extractor fan. Electrical paperwork?’ is closed to new replies.