Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Bath
  • Wheyayeman
    Free Member

Me and my better half are going to Bath for a few days to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary, Newcastle Falcons also happen to be playing Bath in the Anglo Irish Cup while we are there so we can’t miss that!

Any pointers to what else we shouldn’t miss on our visit….

midlifecrashes

The clue’s in the name. Go see the Roman Bath.

jamesmio
    Free Member

It’s a beautiful place to just spend time walking around and exploring. Enjoy, it’s a proper lovely spot.

jimdubleyou

http://www.thechequersbath.com/

https://www.haringtonshotel.co.uk/hotel-overview.html

Were where we went last time.

Folks used to live in Frome, so have spent a lot of time wandering around the city.

T1000
    Free Member

GWR thermae special offer 4 hrs for price of 2

Jakester
    Free Member

I live here, so hopefully can offer a few pointers.

The Roman Baths are great, and if you’re art-curious the Victoria and Holburn galleries are great, and you get to walk down Great Pultney St between them.

The Royal Crescent is worth seeing, and if you fancy a walk you can walk up to Lansdown Crescent fora pretty good view. Alexandra Park, on the other side of town is also a great vantage point (but not much to do once you’re up there).

There’s some great walks – you can amble out to Bathampton and beyond along the canals, or the Two Tunnels out to Midford, and the Bath Skyline walk is worth it as well.

EDIT: Oh, and if you’re going to the match allow lots of time to get into the ground and to your seat if you’re getting a beer!

wallop

Go to Olé for tapas (book ahead online).

http://www.oletapas.co.uk/phone/menu.html

llama

roman baths
    the new spa
    old terraced buildings arranged in curves

the 2 tunnels is a very boring ride let alone walk

Mrs will like the shops, if not your thing, non generic pubs worth going to include: raven, salamander, green tree, star, bell.

Ole tapas +1; other recs budget dependant. Book early, there seems to be a restaurant shortage on fri/sat at the moment.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Schwartz Bros burger.

wallop

Corkage is also a nice place to go for dinner.

petec
    Free Member

i always like same same as a little cafe stop. Lovely place, and great food

Moses

Walk along the canal towards Bradford for some quietish times.
    Use the trains – visit Frome, or consider a day in Bristol – it’s only 15 minutes away from Bath (But don’t make the journey by car)

Wheyayeman
    Free Member

That’s great, thanks for all the tips, sounds like there’s lots to see and do. Looking forward to the visit and a Falcons win!

RobHilton
    Free Member
    mikeys

Sotto Sotto for great sensibly priced Italian.
    Menu Gordon Jones for unforgettable ridiculously pricy food.
    Colonna and Smalls for the best coffee in town (if you can cope with the slight air of coffee snobbery).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Enjoy. We went there for our 5th anniversary in November, as above it’s great just to amble around. The canal is worth a stroll along. (We did so from small oark at Sydney Gardens). Make sure you wait for a free tour of the Baths to get the most out of them

Get working on the rugby tickets now, that could be the trickiest part to organise but will be great. I have been to quite a few games there and with the “stadium” in the town centre its a wonderful atmosphere not least as it’s not a real stadium as such

mendippete
    Free Member

Bath Gin bar http://www.thebathgincompany.co.uk/the-canary-gin-bar/

its a bit expensive but the do make a nice G&T

CountZero

Schwartz Bros burger.

Been established for years, I used to drive down to Bath in the evening with my then g/f just for their burgers, that was around 1980!
    Lots to do around Bath, for a relatively small, compact city, makes it easy to explore on foot.
    Widcombe, where the K&A Canal starts, has some really nice little art shops and a good pub as well.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Definitely try and eat at Sotto Sotto.
    Used to be number one on trip advisor, and for good reason. It’s great.
    Obviously you’ll have to wander up and have a look at the Crescent.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’d second the gin bar that have walk round taking your time plenty of parks and open space just to sit and have a coffee if it’s not to cold.

And for proper beer either the Star , bell or little green tree.

And yes most of my trips into bath now are for food or drink

scotroutes

Once a week whether I need it or not.

hoodoo
    Free Member

Be careful about Thermae, discovered last week that it is closed for maintenance until about the end of Jan

dudeofdoom

Hmmm could hire bikes an go down to Bristol via the Barf2Brizzle super bicycle highway of death and hit the Bristol harbour side and go on the SS Great Britain 🙂

Whilst in bath thou you can grab a Burrito from mission burrito, there’s also a cheap sandwhich shop near the Roman baths it’s very small and you can’t miss it but they do nice baugegettes or Poncinis

wallop

That cycle path is pretty dull though – it’s much prettier in the other direction towards Bradford-on-Avon, plus you can have a big brekkie at the Lock Inn 😆

cbike
    Free Member

the railway tunnels on the cycle path are cool!

ste_t
    Free Member

For rugby days, don’t even bother trying to eat if you haven’t booked – especially on a Friday or Saturday. Generally anywhere that can fit you in has room for a reason.

Ole is great, Gordon Jones is an absolute different level – but you normally have to book months in advance for a weekend table. Raphael is excellent but a bit pricey. I hear good things about Chequers and the pics I see on twitter look good.

Not normally worth bothering trying to get in to the rugby if you haven’t got a ticket, games sell out well in advance.

iffoverload
    Free Member

Stroll through Milsom Place and the Guildhall Market,
    if you fancy a quick pizza mid shopping/sightseeing The Oven next to the Theatre Royal is the place to go for a proper wood oven fired treat.

Sally Lunns on N Parade Passage for tea and the The Huntsman for a drink.

You’ll have a good time there and congrats on the 30!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Bath’ is closed to new replies.