Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bass guitar advice needed
  • Iamspartacus
    Free Member

I would be gratefull if any bass players on here could advise as to if a new young but quite serious learner should go fon a 4 or 5 string bass (electric) and why, any advice most welcome. Cheers.

trailmonkey

4 string. I don’t see that there’s anything wrong with a 5 string but maybe the neck will be a bit wider for younger hands ?

tomalsop
    Free Member

It depends what sort of music they want to play really.

Four string is easier to get to grips with as suggested above (some 5 or 6 strings feel like you’re playing a cricket bat)and fine for most things but if they’re seriously into jazz, funk or heavily detuned metal a five string may be more appropriate.

I’ve got an old 4 string Squier Precision Bass that has got a really thin neck and was great to learn on.

Then you’ve just got to practise…

flip
    Free Member

4 string here and i’m only learning, i got an Ibanez GSR 200. I’d say get to grips with 4 before tackling 5.
    I’m sure most music can be played on 4 anyway.

uglybassplayer

I’d start with a 4 string, easier to play to begin with and if the choice of music requires detuning its just as easy to detune a 4 to the correct pitch (if its ridiculously low then a thicker gauge of sting may be needed). To be honest not many styles of music “need” a 5, jazz or proper funk maybe, a lot of metal/rock bass players are moving away from the 5 and to detuned/re-stringed 4’s and most pop/rock/etc etc could easily be played on a 2 string!

5’s are great once you are familiar with bass playing and can use the advantages of the extra string, but for beginners its doesn’t hold any real advantages and cheaper 5’s the low B usually sounds weak anyway.

Buy a good quality second hand 4 and after a while of playing they’ll soon know if they’d like to try a 5 or stick with a 4.

enfht
    Free Member

TomTom_TFT
    Free Member

I learnt the guitar first and then played bass for a while and I have never gotten on with 5/6 string just because I am used to playing a thinner neck.
    5 String does open up lower notes and as mentioned, depending on the music you want to play, more variations to your playing.

But as a learner, just get a cheap 4 string and build your collection from there.

Iamspartacus
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice all, I shall pass it on.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bass guitar advice needed’ is closed to new replies.