Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Basic GPS?
  • FOG

All I really want from a GPS is distance, possible speed/average speed and position preferably OS grid but Lat/Long fine. I was looking at the Edge 200 but can’t tell from the Garmin website whether it will give you a position. I know it will download routes on your computer when you get home but will it actually give you a reference for present position?
    If not does anybody know of a cheap alternative that does? Or am I going to have to look at slightly more sophisticated hardware?

rob81
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Garmin Dakota 10 and downloaded the talky toaster maps. It was excellent on the Trans Cambrian way last weekend and under £120 with a bike mount.

FOG

Are the talkytoaster maps free and how easy to download are they?
    This sounds very much what I am after

rob81
    Free Member

Free and very easy. Because of the limited and non expandable memory of the Dakota 10, I downloaded the basic ones with contours. It was prefectly adequate for the TCW and showed most of the bridleways we used. It seemed very accurate and agreed with my OS Explorer maps when we were looking st the topography. The unit itself seems robust, is waterproof and has a good battery life. For £40 or so more, you can buy the Dakota 20 with a few extra features and an expandable memory. I don’t feel short changed though.

CraigW
    Free Member

The cheapest/simplest option would be the Etrex 10, about £80. It will give you distance, speed, grid reference etc. Plus you follow a planned route.

Though I think its much more useful to have something with maps, eg Etrex 20 or Dakota 10. Add some free maps, and its very handy for navigating etc.

asherh
    Free Member

I’ve got an eTrex 10 that I no longer need. Bought in May so hasn’t seen a huge amount of use. Email in profile if you fancy.

gusamc
    Free Member

blag – I have a secondhand old style blue Gramin Etrex for sale (the old no OS Map facility) logs routes, follow route (direction arrow), compass, position etc etc drop me a mail in interested – I updated to a Satmap – still carry a map though – screen size context and the fact it could break/battery

Wantage or Basingrad

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Basic GPS?’ is closed to new replies.