Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Baselayer question
  • sonofapitch
    Free Member

After riding I can be left with a cold wet back ( Canterbury baselayer) sitting at the pub shivering.
    Is this the same with all baselayers or is there a difference with merino?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

my wife hates merino for this reason – got cold after skiing, also got cold after running.

She likes the HH lifa she has now as she doesn’t get this.

the merino was Icebreaker.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I’ve always understood the function of a baselayer is to prevent overheating by moving sweat from the skin surface and so promoting it’s evaporation.
    Sounds like the baselayer is doing it’s job but the layers above aren’t letting the moisture through, so it stays in the BL and you get cold/clammy.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My wifes gets like this running with just a fleece over the top – I think it is more the function of the baselayer holding the moisture – the lifa doesn’t do this as it is synthetic.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I think there’s 2 types of baselayer – I have Craft “warm conditions” and “cool conditions” BLs – both synthetic and tight fitting.
    The “warm” is typical synthetic BL – lycra like close weave texture and anything more than a thin top over it and it gets cold/clammy.
    The “cool” is the same composition according to the label, but it’s a ribbed weave and even under a winter jersey and windbreaker it doesn’t get sodden.
    I agree with the HH comments though, they don’t seem to absorb and work well in most conditions IME….

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Would the Mule NV be holding the sweat on the jersey?

hilldodger
    Free Member

I’ve always found a backpack to hold sweat underneath, despite the claims of fancy cooling channels or magic materials

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

probably doesn’t help – I wear a dakine shuttle so that would do something similar.

But when skiing I wear HH base layers, a gillet fleece, and very mid-range HH salopettes and jacket, which only have a breathability of 4000 (whatever the units are…), which is pretty low. I still wear the long johns even if it is pretty mild, and don’t have any problems. I just think the HH stuff is great at regulating your temperature as well as keeping you warm.

seven
    Free Member

I find that any backpack leaves my base layer wet.

so seeing I have a back pack, I carry an extra base layer (or just a tee shirt) and change into it just after the ride.

can then enjoy post ride pint nice and warm 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

unless your ride finishes with an accident which leaves you unable to change your top…

highclimber
    Free Member

Merino is the way forward.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Only ever tried cheap merino and found it a bit poor, both for comfort and performance – any recommendations for something decent ?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Merino is the way forward.

except that it isn’t if it leaves him cold and shivering, which would be very bad if he had been like that guy the other night who crashed at Piethorne Valley.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Merino tends to hold the moisture a little more than high quality synthetic base layers. However it also tends to be warmer when wet (I can vouch for this having ended up in a canal once!). Some riders swear by merino.

As indicated above, the issue maybe what’s over the base layer – most day packs don’t breath particularly well. Soft and hard shell jackets can also prevent moisture escaping. My soft shell jacket has a breathable section in the back for precisely this reason.

Jackets with pit vents can be very good. Zip off arms are even better allowing you to keep your core warm while allowing your arms to regulate your temperature. A gilet (soft or hard shell) is also excellent for this.

I tend to run pretty cool but would never jog with a merino base layer and polar fleece.

Layering allows you to adjust your clothing according to conditions and intensity of exercise. You could also try investing in day pack with better ventilation.

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

IMO merino is not for summer high aerobic activity, particularly if you have backpack/hydration pack. Merino is great in the cold winter or year round for lower activity but I switch back to synthetic when things start to warm up a little and I persire more so need moisture transfer to occur quicker. Odourwise I can wear one merino top all week for a 5 day week at work and then get a few days out of it on the bike at the weekend.

FOG

I was a convert to merino having only had cheap synth base layers. Howver I got 2 Patagonia b/ls in a sale and now wear them all the time unless it is really cold when I revert to merino. And yes, you do stink like a ferrets groin but you don’t get the soggy cold feeling.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Bump

chaos

+1 for Patagonia ‘Capilene’ baselayers. Mine’s been going for a good 5 years or so now and is generally first choice.

jwmlee
    Free Member

IMO merino is not for summer high aerobic activity, particularly if you have backpack/hydration pack. Merino is great in the cold winter or year round for lower activity but I switch back to synthetic when things start to warm up a little and I persire more so need moisture transfer to occur quicker. Odourwise I can wear one merino top all week for a 5 day week at work and then get a few days out of it on the bike at the weekend.

I don’t think he’s referring to Summer.

By the way, merino can also be used in summer. A mate of mine swears by his Rapha short sleeve jersey. A number of other companies (On One, Icebreaker etc) have also made light weight summer jerseys.

I use a Skins C400 base layer when it warms up. More about compression than keeping you warm and dry. Strangely, it actually feels cold when you put it on in a warm room.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

it actually feels cold when you put it on in a warm room.

as does the compression layer in my 661 subgear stuff.

chives
    Free Member

+1 for merino. I’ve been using Endura Baa Baa in both short and long sleeves, and personally think it’s great – just wear it on its own in the summer.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Im talking about cold weather baselayers and by the look of it the answer is to remove the base layer as soon as I stop riding, or carry a spare for mid ride stops.

CaptJon
    Free Member

sonofapitch – Member
    After riding I can be left with a cold wet back ( Canterbury baselayer) sitting at the pub shivering.
    Is this the same with all baselayers or is there a difference with merino?

isn’t that what base layers are for? moving moisture away from the skin and allowing it to evaporate. when moisture evaporates temperature reduces. hence you’re cold. the answer is to change the top and/or add a layer.

i love merino jerseys – can anyone recommend some with rear pockets? (preferably long sleeved with a neck zip)

rumbler
    Free Member

I have an Orca Velo Merino M-Tech I got as a present for Christmas and it’s beautiful, it ticks all of your boxes. CRC have them but they’re pricey.

CaptJon
    Free Member

cheers, i’ll check it out

29erconvert
    Free Member

Get your self a buffalo top my mate uses them i’ve seen nothing like from the outside he looked piss wet through but then on the inside dry as a bone, i’m on the look out for one.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have a variety of base and mid layers depending upon conditions. When cold I tend to wear HH base plus Icebreaker Merino as a mid layer. I’d give another recommendation for Patagonia too. When I stop riding intend to take outer layer off as that’s generally damp and will feel cold.

As posted above the base layer can work to keep your skin dry but if the moisture cannot escape you are going to stay damp. Also it could be moisture is getting in from outside.

jwmlee
    Free Member

A little off topic but I can recommend the Icebreaker Chase Beanie. Superb.

Keeps you head warm but not too hot and doesn’t itch. Comfortable under a helmet too.

Keeping extremities warm is key – head, hands and feet.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Baselayer question’ is closed to new replies.