Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Base layers – anything better than Skins?
  • oddjob
    Free Member

I need to get some base layers for skiing (mostly for my bottom half) and I am considering getting some Skins thermal compression jobbies and maybe the top to go with them.

Are there any others I should consider (preferably no more ridiculously expensive than the skins ones) or are there some other budget options which are genuine graduated compression rather than just being tight?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Under Armour, Linebreaker, Canterbury….

…of course if you dont need compression then you cant beat the original and best HH lifa!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you need compression, then buy Skins. Unless you’re charging hard all day without a rest, I would advise using the recovery tights over using the compression stuff for post-skiing recovery, though. Really effective, once you get over the odd thoughts of “I’m wearing tights. In a bar. Drinking beer”.

For non-compression, the best I have used to date are Odlo. Utterly brilliant stuff. Beyond that, Helly is good kit, especially the Helly Warm (Half Lifa, half merino) tops.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oddjob
    Free Member

I am telemarking so I think the extra support may help with the last few runs of the day when the legs are turning to noodles.

What’s so great about the Odlo stuff?

iDave
    Free Member

I’ve used skins vest or long sleeve for pretty much every ride for the last 3 years, from -8c to +35c, same for running – shorts and 3/4. Takes a lot to impress me and I really rate them.

CFH – I assume you wear jeans over them in a bar?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hmm, one of those, eh? 😉

Worth it for the legs, then.

Odlo is the best I’ve found in terms of temperature regulation. Pretty vital when skiing, as you can go from hot (exertion) to cold (Sitting on a lift in the wind) very quickly. Odlo seems to really manage the body temperature better than anything else. Also v comfy and v breathable/wicking.

globalti
    Free Member

M&S are doing nice thermal longs and vests at the mo. Cheaper than the fancy stuff, I bet.

Here: http://www.marksandspencer.com/Long-Sleeve-Thermal-Vest-Wool/dp/B003X6CYMU

oddjob
    Free Member

I think I’ll have a try with one from Skins and one from Odlo and see which is better 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

@ iDave, yes indeed. I don’t go in to a bar wearing tights. Well, not on every night, anyway! 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Skins are expensive but best tights I have. Normally use them for recovery but occassionally run in them. Cant quite see the point of upper body compression stuff, so that’s where better value UA and C’bury come in alongside good old HH.

Was given two Odlo running tops (not compression) at end of Thames Meander Ultra – really ggod tech T shirts. Didn’t know they did compression

oddjob
    Free Member

The Odlo stuff isn’t compression, it’s just fitted.

nbt

I use aldi thermal compression tops when skiing and cycling. £7.99 each, so rather better value than skins 😉

oddjob
    Free Member

@nbt. In many ways I am sure that the aldi stuff is good value, but from what I understand, the compression thing is quite complicated with the degree of compression changing along the length of the limbs etc. I somehow doubt that the aldi version does that properly although I am sure it is fine as a cheap base layer, it’s not the same thing.

the 😉 kind of suggests that you know that already 🙄

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

2XU?
    Orca?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Base layers – anything better than Skins?’ is closed to new replies.