Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Base layers: Alternative to Helly Hansen Lifa?
  • crimsondynamo
    Free Member

As per title. I have a couple of Lifas which are about 10 years old and I’d like to replace. I prefer man-made fabric for sporting applications, due to superior wicking. Should I just get another couple of Lifas or is there anything else I should be looking at?

junitrules
    Free Member

If you’re looking for something in the colder months then I would recommend something made from Merino wool.

I have a lot of merino tops that I’ve used predominantly (spellcheck please) for skiing but they are very good at wicking sweat, will keep you warm when it’s cold and cool when you’re warm. HH make merino versions of their LIFA. I also have the LIFA stuff and that’s good too, but gets very stinky, unlike merino

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve become a fan of bamboo base layers – better wicking and quicker drying than merino, not as warm, depending on weight.

For outright value for money, Decathlon manmade base layers are hard to beat, various weights, work well. The cycling ones are more expensive than the others, the warmer skiing ones are toasty as well!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I use Ground Effect submerino base layers,can’t recommend them highly enough.

joelm76
    Free Member

I found merino doesn’t wick very well at all…. all the other miracle claims about it are true though. If you want a fabric which transports mositure away quickly I think it has to be synthetic. Arcteryx Phase base layers are the best I have tried, and I have tried a few. Not cycling specific but that doesn’t matter.

cinnamon_girl

I always wear Berghaus zipped neck base layers, with argentium or something to ward off odour. Not impressed with merino.

sofatester
    Free Member

Should I just get another couple of Lifas

Yep.

rene59
    Free Member

Yep +1

Stainypants

I agree with above the decathlon skiing baselayers have just replaced my 15 year old Hellys I think they are something like 3 for £15.

Superficial
    Free Member

My old Hellys stink. In fact so do my newish ones.
    And the Merino ones stink a bit less and are warmer, but aren’t as comfy (mainly because they don’t wick as well).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve been very impressed with the Odlo stuff I have. Originally for skiing, but works very well on the bike as well (Upper half only, obviously)

julzm
    Free Member

The HH warm tops iirc are a combination of merino and ma made fabric. They are excellent at wicking comforted to a normal merino top. I have both types and cannot fault my HH warm at all.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Should add, prompted by the above, that I also have several HH Warms and they are brilliant as well.

tlr

Odlo Evolution and Arc’teryx Phase are about the best around at the moment.

Merino is ok if you are standing around and just want to keep warm, but the mechanics of the fabric mean that they don’t wick very well and stay damp for much longer than synthetics.

duckers
    Free Member

New hellys are much better and smell less, I use the newer slimmer fitting standard ones for warmer days and also the “freeze” for colder days, I trust them and they are good value.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Base layers: Alternative to Helly Hansen Lifa?’ is closed to new replies.