Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Bargain of the week?……100% merino.
  • dasnut
    Free Member

All year for me, a sleeveless merino top makes a great base layer under a dainese jacket as well.

Yes it gets wet, but it stays warm.

When they start making sheep from petrol based products I'll switch.
    And just because some "top biking dudes" don't rate it, doesn't mean its not valid.

Too much "I say what I like, and I like what I bloody well say" attitude on this forum, as usual.
    I think its called freedom of choice?
    If it works for you, use it, if not, don't, but don't try and convince people who haven't tried it its no good for them

crikey
    Free Member

If it works for you, use it, if not, don't, but don't try and convince people who haven't tried it its no good for them

+1

But equally, don't try and convince people who haven't tried it that spending so much on something that might not work is a good idea.

I bought two merino tops on the strength of recommendations from here and ended up very disappointed with the performance. So in the interests of balance I like to point out that it aint all that.

aracer
    Free Member

It's a classic STW thread…

Which is only waiting for somebody to sneer and say it's not a new idea. Oh look, somebody just has.

I guess people are different. I find I get damp whatever I wear, but at least merino stays warm when I stop. Bears no relation at all to old thin wool sweaters (though I am wearing a thin merino "sweater" at the moment!)

As dasnut says, a sleeveless merino is also a superb piece of kit for year round use – is my very favourite base layer (and so much nicer than similar synthetic items). Great to wear with a short sleeve top and armwarmers for temperature regulation in spring/autumn.

woodsman
    Free Member

Some of cheaper merino may not be ethically sourced(animal cruelty), 'mapp' is a trading standards for merino and there is another begining with 'z' that I can't remember just now.

Personally I love merino, as base layers, casual tops, cycling jersey's and even underwear – check out the howie's site for the latter! 😉

It does require some care when washing, and riding through thorny singletrack can snag it.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Bargain of the week?……100% merino.’ is closed to new replies.