Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bargain basement road bike on a budget, for a road virgin
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

As somebody who rides about 20 miles a month it obviously seemed like a sensible idea to sign up for a charity coast to coast ride in September.

So.. I’ve always fancied a road bike and this seems the perfect excuse to get one.

Where’s best for bargain road bikes , what sort of size should I be looking at (6’2″ and ride a 19 and 20″ MTB) and is it really a very bad idea to get one without sitting on it?

Oh and I don’t want to spend more than £400 ish. Are the bargain Ridley’s on CRC actually a bargain?

Thanks

Bregante

Without looking at the wiggle ones, the standard answer at this price is the Btwin Triban 3 at decathlon

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/bikes/129441/2/bike-test-do-you-get-what-you-pay-for.html

robbieh
    Free Member

20 miles a month? Get a nice Halfords Apollo, should be perfect.

andrewh
    Free Member

At that price go second hand. Especially if it may not get much use, no point in taking the hit on depreciation. Should be able to get alloy frame, carbon forks and maybe 105 group for that price. Older 9sp stuff will be cheaper, go for that and some reasonable wheels. See what’s on fleabay

andrewh
    Free Member

At that price go second hand. Especially if it may not get much use, no point in taking the hit on depreciation. Should be able to get alloy frame, carbon forks and maybe 105 group for that price. Older 9sp stuff will be cheaper, go for that and some reasonable wheels. See what’s on fleabay

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I should point out that I intend to ride a lot more in preparation for the C2C ride and also in general!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Bump

tinsy
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Merlin Road bikes, as usual with Merlin stuff, lovely specs for the cash, but I dont have first hand experience. A pal has bought one though & rates it.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’d be quite tempted by a drop bar tourer so it’s more useful afterwards. Something with rack mounts, muds and bigger tyres will be more versatile, probably comfortable and you’ll still be able to keep up if the group’s not trying to go as fast as possible.

My girlfriend has a Revolution Country Traveller which was sub £400 and is a comfy, well made bike with racks and mudguards as well as a nice riding position for someone not used to road riding.

jim25

Giant Defy 5 £499 new or maybe a 2nd hand Defy 1 (£999 new)

pictonroad

as a road, touring newbie and dabbler I have the B’twin Triban 3, fantastic bike, but, it’s definitely a racey loop ride road bike. Before this I did LEJOG as a one off event and had a £400 alloy tourer, (badged as raleigh pioneer venture but sold at £600 as a Dawes as well) and the tourer was far more versatile if long distance with stuff is your occasional dabble.

At this price range you can buy new and sell on without losing much if it doesn’t suit you.

rickt
    Free Member

Depending what your mtb bike is… how about a new set of skinny hoops and rubber ?? though,… i guess you may spin out on the road….

andy531pro
    Free Member

The old Triban 3 is certainly worth a look but it’s currently out of stock – probably now discontinued. The new Triban 3 is terrible – Microshift shifters and gearing which is poor compared with Shimano 2300 even with thumbshift. The new Triban 3 also has steel forks. The new Triban 5 however is a very good bike – carbon forks and Shimano Sora (2013) with paddle shifters. It’s also out of stock though but retails at £429. I would also take a serious look at the Merlin S2200 which is on sale for £329. OK, it hasn’t got a carbon fork but it has got Shimano 2300 throughout, better wheels and Truvativ chainset (much better than the triple on the old Triban 3 which was very easy to flex). Failing that, you can’t go wrong with a Defy!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

My current MTB is a Tracer VP :-/ My hard tail has brakes or forks.

I do have a cheap carerra hybrid thing with 700c wheels and skinny tyres. However, as it needs a full drivetrain and other bits and because I fancy a road bike anyway, I feel tempted to get a cheapy road bike.

Those Tribans certainly sound good if I could fine one

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Can someone give me a guide as to groupset levels for road stuff i.e. equivalents to SLX, XT, XTR etc?

Ta

andrewh
    Free Member

Roughly speaking
    Dura-Ace/XTR
    Ultegra/XT
    105/SLX
    Tiagra/Deore
    Sora/Alivio
    Other stuff/other stuff

kevin1911

Scott Speedster – often see lightly used examples on ebay for way less than £400. Excellent bikes, ride as well as much more expensive bikes.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ahem:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cheap-road-bike-price-drop-to-200

I’m 6’2 ish, but short in the body/long in the leg (& thick in the head) so needed the shorter top-tube of the 54cm.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bargain basement road bike on a budget, for a road virgin’ is closed to new replies.