Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Barbour jackets
  • alexonabike

I just inherited a 15 year old barbour border jacket and its ace!

I'm a country lad and never gave a poo about them thinking they were for toffs or wannabe toffs, but now i'm a hypocrite. It just feels like home!

What next? will I suddenly lust after a Range Rover sport or will my willy shrink?

earl_brutus

yeah man theyre mega mines 25 yrs young and tough as ole boots

CountZero

Ha! Now you're finding out the benefits of clothing designed for proper outdoor wear without having to worry about damaging fancy waterproof coatings. Just 'cos posh townies affect pretentions of country living doesn't devalue a waterproof jacket that will still work after twenty to forty years. Provided it's reproofed regularly. Belstaff jackets are the same. I bought a Barbour Stockman coat last year in a sale for half price. Best ninety quid I've ever spent. Pi$$ing down with rain and I'm dry down to my ankles. Plus it's great as a groundsheet when the grass is wet…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not a Range Rover Chavsport, but steer clear of anyone selling 25 year old Defenders!

cinnamon_girl

Yeah, til it comes to regular reproofing after regular forays with the gundog 🙄

Mine smells, won't part with it though. I look like a tramp 8)

alexonabike

to me, tramp looking girls are a thumbs-up.

no townies for me! 😉

cinnamon_girl

Little tip for reproofing – put Barbour wax on coffee machine plate so it stays a constant temperature. Use a table too.

Hairdryer to finish.

CountZero

Hi c_g, haven't got a coffee machine, was going to get one of those dinner table hotplate jobbies which use tealights. Got the proper proofing wax and a hairdrier, just need a nice hot day in summer to giveit a going over.
    Wish I could find my dad's old Belstaff Trialmaster jacket. Think it's in a trunk under a load of junk in the shed. Gotta be fifty years old, now. Must have a dig sometime…

TooTall
    Free Member

Tin of wax in a pan of hot water, jacket fresh out of the airing cupboard, use a paint brush in one hand, hairdryer in the other. Works a treat. Jacket will need breaking in again tho!

cinnamon_girl

Hello Count, back to your other name? Good news is that the wax doesn't smell so Winter/rainy day is ideal. Don't apply too much. Was surprised at how quickly it needed reproofing – creases appeared in fabric, particularly noticeable if worn when driving.

Yes, definitely hunt for your father's jacket but could need some TLC.

smiffy

Reproof it on the Rayburn and leave it there overnight, it will soak through really evenly.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Barbour jackets’ is closed to new replies.