Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • bar height – how do you work it out?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Seat height is easy to set but is bar height just trial and error until it feels right?

theboatman
    Free Member

It’s just trial and error for me.

Keva
    Free Member

where they feel comfy, which happens to be roughly the same height as the saddle for me.

Kev

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Allen key bag of spaces and a few rides round the block

bassspine
    Free Member

As keva said.

Roughly the same height as the saddle for starters, your arms may vary.

MSP

Don’t cut anything down, ride it for a couple of months before finally deciding, you need to ride up and down a fair number of hills before finalising on a position. A couple of spins around the block proves nothing, unless you already know what’s comfortable from previous bikes.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Set them where they feel good, obviously taking into account you must have a stem no longer than 70mm and bars no narrower than 725mm otherwise you’ll be ridiculed by the STW masses for ever!

BigJohn

I like to be able to rest my elbow on the bar and reach my drink without getting out of the seat.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Too many variables for 1 rule to fit all IMO.

Experienced hard core roadies and associated xc-jey bois may have saddles higher than bars.

pinches
    Free Member

was going to say, my saddle is way over my bar height on the xc bike.

I normally don’t run more than 10 of 15mm of spacers under a stem.

donsimon
    Free Member

I tend to let the fashionistas guide me, if I see bars going higher than the seat in magazines, I change mine. What has comfort got to do with it? 🙄 It’s all about image. 😆

Simon

I use low rise bars and I generally take all the spacers out from under the stem to get the bars as low as possible.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

steve_b77 – Member
    Set them where they feel good, obviously taking into account you must have a stem no longer than 70mm and bars no narrower than 725mm otherwise you’ll be ridiculed by the STW masses for ever!

600mm bars on a 105mm stem about 3 inches lower than the saddle.
    Ridicule me if you can catch me. 😆

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘bar height – how do you work it out?’ is closed to new replies.