Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Bar ends & risers ……. How wrong?
  • letmetalktomark

Whilst out pootling over the weekend on my Sirius I had a want for some bar ends 😳 🙄 just to offer a bit more leverage on climbs and to vary hand positions etc.

The problem is I have a fairly flat riser bar …..

Am I heading down a bad route here contemplating this mix?

Bike in question:

Was only thinking stubbies 😕

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Think you'll get away with it being a SS…you'll still get a ripping on the forums tho! 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

They look fine on low risers, not so fine on medium risers, absolutely bloody horrendous on high risers, although high risers look horrendous anyway.

clubber
    Free Member

It's just wrong.

But don't let that stop you 🙂

I'd fit a slightly higher stem/more spacers under the stem and flats as risers (even low ones) and bar ends just look so bad I couldn't live with them YMMV 😉

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Aye up, I ran low riser Eastons with stubby bar ends on, it looked just acceptable imho.

Worked a treat aswell. 😀

#Blatant advertising here#

Got some Tomac stubbies you can have cheap, literally just advertised over >.

#Blatant advertising over#

Edric64
    Free Member

Cant see the problem,it's to get another hand position so why is it wrong? .Bar ends make climbing better for me

cp

put those two red spacers you have on top of the stem under the stem, get some wide flat bars and then put the bar ends on…

bar ends look wrong on all risers IMO.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ride with XLite enduro BE's on both bikes. One EA70 high rise, one on Titec Hell Bent low riser.
    Both work and make it more comfortable climbing and moving about.
    Why TF not?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

clubber – Member

It's just wrong.

But don't let that stop you

I'd fit a slightly higher stem/more spacers under the stem and flats as risers (even low ones) and bar ends just look so bad I couldn't live with them YMMV

Advice on aesthetics from a man who has a purple single speed Klein Mantra..

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Form should always follow function, even if that form isn't to everybody elses taste. If you feel you are going to get on better with bar ends do it. It you that uses the bike afterall.

clubber
    Free Member

LOL – fair point KT but there's wrong and there's bar ends and risers 😉

crispedwheel
    Free Member

I wouldn't worry about how it looks – you seem to have already ruined a nice looking bike by putting a cow print saddle on it, so bar ends aren't going to make much difference 😉

lyons
    Free Member

I have them… Can't see why you wouldn't now, they make it more comfy on any piece of track where I don't need to brake, I probably use them about 50 percent of the tome… Mine are on a 140mm hardtail as well.,,

mangatank
    Free Member

This is still a worry in 2010? I thought the bar end/ riser bar question had finally fizzled out on the Bike Magic forums in 2003.

If you want the positive effects of bar-ends, then you'll benefit on flat or riser bars equally.

poppa
    Free Member

Form should always follow function, even if that form isn't to everybody elses taste.

You could use that to justify any number of aesthetically horrible decisions!

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

What's wrong with cow print saddles? … they make me smile, as does the tartan saddle I have 😉

lyons
    Free Member

Oh, I highly reccomend the cane creek ergo bar ends… Sooooooo comfy. Much better than any others I've ever had…

cookeaa

Bar ends and Risers Wrong?

Yes, Very! Hang your head in shame young man!

Still it’s not a fashion show is it, so ride whatever works for you….

MrNutt
    Free Member

fit them upside down, no-one dare will question your reasoning!

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

bar ends and risers?????

are you freakin insane??? Next you'll be not lining the tyre labels up with the valves, which is possibly worse than being a child molester

Stainypants

I did it last week on my ridgid inbred with low risers and those same brown grips looks great to me and makes a massive difference when climbing and when you want to strech out.

mangatank
    Free Member

Next you'll be not lining the tyre labels up with the valves

🙂 Excellent. And says it all really.

Splash-man
    Free Member

I'm a proud SS rider using bar ends, however I do happen to run a flat bar.
    As said above, I think with low riser it looks fine. Whatever, having the bar ends makes climbing so much easier and I also find myself using thwm a lot of the time on the flat bits just to stretch out as well.

rootes1

nice looking bike that!

stoney
    Free Member

This was my ss, sadly no longer with me….. 😥

My current ride….. 😛

and both together

qwerty
    Free Member

💡

niche to a mad rad factor

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I use them on my SS , shallow riser bar with stubbies …
    look shite but work a treat

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Bar ends & risers ……. How wrong?’ is closed to new replies.