Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bar Ends, Riser Bars and Tree Hugging
  • darkcyan
    Free Member

I love bar ends because they allow me to change my wrist position and peddle faster in some situations and stretch out for the long haul. The problem is that I get stick for putting them on my riser bars – and yes they do look a little strange and are not perfect for tight singletrack and can cause a bout of tree hugging if you catch them on a branch! What can I do?

uplink
    Free Member

What can I do?

Turn the risers upside-down – they’ll look ace then

fatboyjon

Pedal faster instead?

tazzymtb

get some flat wide bars like wot a lot of single speeders and big wheelers use and the you can have the width and comfort of a riser but it wont look gimpy with bar ends

darkcyan
    Free Member

Are Cane Creek ergo bar ends wrong on riser bars – it looks kinda weird but they word a treat.

Are there some basic fashion rules on this.

noteeth
    Free Member

These must be due a revival… 8)

darkcyan
    Free Member

That is so cool – i’m gonna get some – are they on Wiggle

noteeth
    Free Member

are they on Wiggle

Only if Wiggle get taken over by Retrobike…

bikerbruce
    Free Member

i think you need to get jones bars and put bar ends on then….faceing inward for full niche look..

noteeth
    Free Member

i think you need to get jones bars and put bar ends on

Me and Tangent have often discussed this – adding successive pairs of bar ends so as to construct a vast structure, like the mighty antlers of the extinct Irish Elk.

darkcyan
    Free Member

noteeth – we should meet up and lock horns – maybe in the woods somewhere.

Is there a kind of niche for bar end admirers – a kinda dogging splinter group?

darkcyan
    Free Member

ok forget the last post – do most of you guys ride without bar ends – doesn’t it hurt the wrists after a while – I know it does for me – maybe it’s the saddle angle – could that be a possible adjustment? Maybe On One Mary bars?

noteeth
    Free Member

we should meet up and lock horns

LOL… battling it out infront of an admiring crowd of female MTBers.

That said, the number of commuting cyclists I see with bar ends pointing straight up (or even backwards) suggests a niche community of some kind.

Edit: Maybe On One Mary bars? Many people swear by ’em. And the TiTec H-Bars.

darkcyan
    Free Member

TiTec H-Bars look good – anyone used them – they certainly look like they have plenty of good positions for different riding scenarios.

Moonhead
    Free Member

I have never had bar ends but then never felt like I need to change the position of my hands to be more comfortable.

I always wear gloves, they have padding which helps but mostly stop my hands slipping off the bars when I get sweaty hands.

My mate bought a pair of grips that are ergonomic… something like this

http://www.bikester.co.uk/bicycle-parts/handlebar-grips-tape/ergonomic-grips/3114.html?_cid=1_3_2_2111_2307_2312_3114_&c=18

They work for him and when I had a quick go felt quite nice, not for me tho.

I know it probably isn’t cool to have bar ends on risers but if it works for you do it….who cares what other people say?

mtbfix

I use wide flats on my bike and run them with bar ends. Strikes me that bar ends enhance your capacity to put in the miles, especially on the ups. Fashion and the advent of the riser bar caused their demise. Not any functional failing on their behalf. Get some Salso Pro Motos or EA70 flats. Get the right stem angle and ride all bar-ended up.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bar Ends, Riser Bars and Tree Hugging’ is closed to new replies.