Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • bar ends on carbon bars?
  • c9tln
    Free Member

is it advisable to put bar ends on carbon bars?

cinnamon_girl

I use Ergon grips on mine. Check out the riser bars on singlespeeds thread!!

westkipper
    Free Member

Some bars are reinforced for bar-ends, most aren't but you may get away with it, some specifically prohibit them- it depends what you've got.
    While I'm happy enough with carbon bars themselves, the fact that a stupid low speed crash( which I'm expert at) could wipe out a hundred quid handlebar means its Aluminium for me when I'm using bar ends.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I wouldn't do it to un-reinforced ends, and I speak as someone who has 😕

But re-inforcing them yourself is pretty straightforward – just araldite some bungs in the end, such as inch long pieces of tubing or even a whittled down sections of plastic screwdriver handle. Then it'll be fine.

racefaceec90

you can get some odi lock on grips,and some cane creek ergo bar ends.they fit onto the end of the grips so don't damage the carbon bar.i had a setup on an ec90 flat bar.really comfy bar ends as well.

clubber
    Free Member

Easton have a page on their site about this and about what type of barends are ok and which aren't.

I use these which are the same as Ritchey ones and work fine as per easton's requirements.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18602

c9tln
    Free Member

thanks everyone,will look into those ideas.

Wookster

I have erogon grips on mine and you can get erogon plugs for carbon and light ali bars worth a look mate.

rolfharris
    Free Member

I have had an Answer bar crack due to bar ends, but now run a Race Face carbon one that doesn't.

Just standard stubby bar ends for me, none of this heavy Ergon/Cane Creek nonsense.

c9tln
    Free Member

they are answer pro taper bars that i've got,are they known for being weak?

njee20
    Free Member

I'd say ignore Easton's 'standards' when choosing bar ends and use common sense, there are plenty that aren't in line with their recommendations and are far kinder to bars than some they would recommend!

Bontrager Race X Lites are good, they cover the end of the bar. Should be fine with Pro-Tapers, don't think they're that thin.

clubber
    Free Member

The barend I suggested are cheaper and lighter than most others plus they seem comfortable enough for me and they even look good 🙂

rolfharris
    Free Member

I wouldn't have said Answers were weaker, just not designed for bar ends. Though my RF's are the same weight they're much thicker walled at the ends. My answers crushed after about 6 months of use, but it was during a singlespeed race and I was using them a lot more than usual, and pulling a lot harder.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Find a couple of old quill stems, take the bottom section off, wrap in tape, slot into the ends of the bars, fit bar ends.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘bar ends on carbon bars?’ is closed to new replies.