Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • bar ends on a riser
  • try5
    Free Member

I’ve put bar ends on my riser bars on my commuter.

nickc

what’s your point, caller?

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have them on both my mtb bikes they are my bikes I will place my hands where I like thanks
    EDIT: and they are both ergo grips

RubberMallet
    Free Member

Me too on my ss comuter!

But not on a proper MTB No sir!

showerman
    Free Member

got the ergo ones on my risers

snaps
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with bar ends on any bars

try5
    Free Member

what, never on a proper mtb.
    what about if you had to do an event with lots and lots of climbing?

RubberMallet
    Free Member

Hmm still think not! I do lots of climbing on my proper MTB any way. Dont like the idea of sticky up things on a bike I like to chuck about! And it just doesnt seem right some how, So no actually never! Managed the Dyfi and Puffer last year with out them.

manitou
    Free Member

bar ends on risers? certainly not. would make my rig look less like an engineless motocross bike 🙄

Kramer
    Free Member

Got them on mine, ergo grips as well.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Always. On my enduro AND my commuter. Why? Because its more comfortable and winds the fashion police up on here!

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I put some knobblies on my MTB commuter the other day just for a change and took it on a 20-odd mile off-road route, flat bars and bar ends, I’d forgotten just how useful those bar ends are when you’ve got a 20 minute grinding climb!

😯

Kramer
    Free Member

They’re great if you’ve got a bit of arm pump from a descent as well.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am experimenting with Cane Creek ergos on this:

The bar is a flat Truvativ Stylo, 700mm wide with a 10 degree back-sweep. I think the bar is actually too wide for the bar-end position to be beneficial, and the sweep of the bar means that the bar ends point out too far. My preferred climbing position on smooth surfaces is actually inboard of the controls, and in the rough it is better to get a hold on the grips. The seated climbing position on the bar-ends feels wrong.

I like bar-ends generally, but I am pretty sceptical of the benefits when you’ve got a wide, swept bar, as most risers are.

Epic
    Free Member

I used bar ends on my riser bar at Mayhem. Nobody laughed at me as I rode passed them all walking up the Kenda Cimb 😉

zaskarrider
    Free Member

yep ive got onza bar ends on my zaskar le with flat bars !! 😆

Kramer
    Free Member

IMO, a Zsskar looks wrong without bar ends.

nickc

BD has pretty much hit the nail on the head here, the reason Bar ends became popular in the first place was because bars had got so narrow that climbing was a real PITA, with the RE-introduction* of wider riser bars, hands were wider; more climbing oomph, less need for bar ends…

* Yep re-introduction. Narrow flat bars were a 90’s fashion lead flash in the pan, original clunkers had big ‘ole cow horns, risers have been on bikes for longer now than flat bars ever were. Sorry, all you retro heads…

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Yep re-introduction. Narrow flat bars were a 90’s fashion lead flash in the pan, original clunkers had big ‘ole cow horns, risers have been on bikes for longer now than flat bars ever were. Sorry, all you retro heads…

You are a scholar sir!

epicyclo

nickc – Member
    …Narrow flat bars were a 90’s fashion lead flash in the pan, original clunkers had big ‘ole cow horns, risers have been on bikes for longer now than flat bars ever were. Sorry, all you retro heads…

All us old blokes lusted after Vincents in our yoof, so flat bars were ace.

Before flat bars we rode offroad with full drop bars and crap calliper brakes.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

“the reason Bar ends became popular in the first place was because bars had got so narrow that climbing was a real PITA,

… or wasn’t it the other way round?

I’m sure that I started off in 1989 I rode with very wide flat bars, then when bar ends came along – the effective bar grip width became shortened to accomodate all that extra space taken up by the bar ends…

… Then when people stopped using bar ends, the shorter effective handlebar length remained in vogue, because people had simply got used to it / it was seen as fashionably jey.

That’s how I remember it, anyway.

*sighs* (oh for the days when being jey was cool)

You gota love the awesome ponceyness of this sport – the way we can muse endlessly about bar lengths, rise, sweep, what strictly ‘goes’ with what etc.

darrell
    Free Member

i’ve got bar ends on my raceface next riser which is attached to my blur xc. no way would i do a marathon or 24 hour event without them. being able to switch hand positions is very important to me, especially as i use gripshifts

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘bar ends on a riser’ is closed to new replies.