Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Bar battle
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’ve been wanting to try out a flat bar for a while and since CRC have Answer Pro Taper XC bars for a tenner, I thought that I’d give it a try.

Unfortunately they didn’t have silver so I bought a white one (the least offensive colour) for a try. I found a small square of paper stapled to the packing by way of instructions that merrily warn that any scrapes or scratches on the bars may weaken them and limit their lifespan.

The problem is that it’s been a real battle to fit my shifters and grips. The shifters are old 9 speed XTs and have to be slid along the bars; even with the bolts out they’re incredibly tight and have made quite a mess of the bars. My lock on grips have been similarly tight and destructive.

My guess is that the white colour is a powder coating that maybe slightly thickens the bars but am I safe to assume that the nasty scratches on the bars (now hidden under the grips and brakes/shifters) aren’t going to cause problems and weakness; I’m sure that the underlying metal is fine?

igm

No use now, but the old trick was to reverse the bolt and put a penny in the slot – then tighten the bolt to open the clamp a little further.

I’m sure it will be fine. Probably.

nickdavies

I’ve got a pair of those. Been on 3 bikes I think had various things attached to it scratched plenty of the finish. Crashed them a few times and they’re still in one piece. Wouldn’t worry too much as long as you haven’t hung of the Allen key fitting everything.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Bar battle’ is closed to new replies.