Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Banking coins
  • onehundredthidiot

Got a change jar at home. With the upcoming demise of the round pound how do I deposit £200+ of assorted change. Will the bank take a big jar of a mix, or sorted into denominations or bagged in change bags? Given that I’ve sorted most of it each option takes equal effort.

bodgy
    Free Member

My local Morrisons has a change sorting machine – you just pour it in and it issues a voucher to get cash from Customer Services. It takes a percentage, mind.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Places like Asda and Tesco have change taking machines, might cost a small fee but they do various options in exchanging for cash or onto cards etc.

Banks aren’t keen unless it’s bagged in specific amounts/same coins..

Onzadog
    Free Member

Find some kids, get some coin bags from the bank, might give an hour or two of piece and quiet. Does depend a lot in the particular kids though.

mrjmt
    Free Member

My bank (HSBC) has a change counting machine like those in the supermarket but it pays the cash straight into your account without charging.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah ask your bank if they have a coin machine at a branch near you.

With HSBC you can ask on their FB page and they’ll look it up for you.

clubby

Bank will probably only take it bagged in change bags, as they use scales to check. Coin counters at supermarkets are ok for coppers but take up to 10% so that’s a lot on pound coins and 50’s.

If you’re on friendly terms with your local newsagent/corner shop then check with them. I used to love getting change when I had my shop as it saved a fortune in bank charges.

FuzzyWuzzy

As above, the supermarket ones are a rip off (at least the Tesco one near me is)

hooli

As above, HSBC will do it but only if you bank with them.

Metro bank have free machines and you don’t need to bank with them.

spawnofyorkshire

Some Natwest’s also have the machines

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve a gallon sized whisky bottle full of change! No pound coins though.

I grab a load of the plastic bags from the bank then count out the right amount for each coin and put into a bag for each. We’ve a set of counterbalance kitchen scales so it’s just a case of grabbing the bag of twenty pence coins or whatever then putting enough 20p coins in the scales’ bowl until it balances, bag and repeat.

Takes a while but it’s a pleasantly mindless sort of task.

Drac

I use change machines at supermarket the small fee they charge if far less than the time it takes it count and bag up individual coins.

onehundredthidiot

Aye the dining room ramble has nice little piles of coins all over it. I’ll pop into bank and get a lot of bags. £93 in pound coins and it would appear 20p pieces are the most abundant followed by 5p pieces. TBF I was bored.

johndoh
    Free Member

As above – we have some electronic scales so we just count one bag and then bag subsequent bags at teh same weight.

Did you known that £1 in 2p coins weighs the same as £1 in 1p coins, same for 5p/10p and 20p/50p too IIRC.

Murray

Counting £200 in pound coins won’t take any time. Stack them in piles of 5 and count them. Bank will provide bags for the asking.

Coppers go to the rip off machines as they’re worth nothing – a coffee jar is only a couple of quid of coppers.

properbikeco
    Free Member

just use them in the self service checkout machines at the supermarket… at a quiet time of course so others don’t get pissed off!

thecaptain
    Free Member

^ +1 to that I occasionally buy a pastry in the local coop when I’ve got a pocketful of change and get it swapped for a handful of pound coins.

Since it’s only the old pounds you need rid of I don’t see the problem…just spend them!

zilog6128

Some Natwest’s also have the machines

My Natwest has 2 machines, one is a lot slower & has a coin limit but pays directly into your account, the other is fearsomely quick (you could just empty a bucket of coins into it!) but for some reason then spits out a receipt that you have to take to the teller to pay in. Quite like building up the change jar and using them every now and then!

thegreatape
    Free Member

+1 for self checkouts. I’ve had a £20 note out of one when the kids handed me a load of shrapnel to buy them something online.

onehundredthidiot

If we spent them there wouldn’t be a collection of them. It’ll pay for a night away and a nice meal (near inners) and make it effectively free.

kcal

My RBS has a change counting machine – shopkeepers and taxi drivers use it a lot but it’s for all customer use – pour it in, collect a voucher and they’ll give you cash or deposit to account.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’m glad I saw this – had no idea the old ones were being scrapped and I’ve got a couple of hundred in a mug!!

Best get spending :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Banking coins’ is closed to new replies.