Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Bank holiday visitors to national parks etc (rant lite content)
  • hora
    Free Member

Where do they come from? Where do they spring up from?

BAD parking, slow, last minute decision making, sitting at junctions for an age then suddenly pulling out on onwards coming cars, the litter etc.

Why? Why do these people exist?

Up a steep road out of Castleton – Winnats pass I was sat behind a car doing 5mph for over 200m’s – presumably so they could slowly look at the scenery. All the while this must be putting a strain on everyones clutch so I over take to be met with beeping and lights flashing from said car- the only car on the road with me.

Why do they ignore signs ON EVERY GATE that says ‘keep your dog on a lead’?

Why did I have to have a go at two lads whose four dogs were pilling across a field chasing grouse whose reply was ‘look mate I work on a farm and my dogs would never chase any animal or lambs’.

Why do they think theres a litter warden that cleans up every night?

Why can’t these people be like everyone else – not turn up at 12/noon and wondering why theres no room to park so they sit there in the middle of the road what to do next?

ARRGHHHH

jam-bo

You are not stuck in traffic, you are traffic.

muddy9mtb

see… man has even visited the remotest place on earth and adapted it 😥

ElShalimo

Stay away from these busy places at peak times.
    Your blood pressure will be lower and you won’t be part of the problem.

Or be imaginative and avoid the “honey-pots” and visit somewhere else

welshfarmer

You should try living and working in one!

hora
    Free Member

Where I go its all honeypots as its only 40mins away 8)

muddy9mtb

where ever there’s an attraction simple folk will follow

like elshalimo said.. in busy times do the opposite play football on the local school field 😉 jumpers for goalposts

ScottChegg
    Free Member

… putting a strain on everyones clutch … the only car on the road with me.

So ‘all these people’ is you and one other? What must your blood pressure be like if it gets busy?

hora
    Free Member

Try driving up there. Or any steep hill behind someone who isn’t very old (as I can understand). If someone is freaked out or more importantly distracted looking at the views shouldn’t they do it on foot but not be distracted on potentially quite a dangerous road.

I tend to hit the Peak district silly o’clock and I’m leaving as they are all queueing through certain roads on their way in.

slowoldman

Someone crawling up Winnats is probably not used to driving up such a steep hill (rather than rubber-necking). I used to commute up/down it twice a day and usually had no problem with other road users. Depending on the situation I have overtaken (I can’t recall any issues with “overtakees”) or waited (I usually leave myself enough time to get to where I want to be without the need to race) then nipped by on Rushup Edge.

Cougar

Simple fact is that a lot of bank holiday drivers are what used to be called Sunday drivers. People who don’t drive very often and just dig out the car for weekend breaks and to pop to the shops once a fortnight. So you get folk who aren’t very confident, are out of practice, or are simply there to gawp out of the window at the scenery as they trundle along. Then they trip over something like Hardknott or Wrynose and it’s game over.

hora
    Free Member

slowoldman it was on a nice long straight so the flash/beepee couldn’t class my driving as ‘before a bend/blind curve’.

Mostly you can spot a slower driver going up and you just give them more room and maybe even pause after the cattle grid if theres no one behind you. I just hate crawling up there. My other bug bear- near the top the blind crest – I always let people coming up that section have right of way but plenty of other users will just charge down taking up lots of road.

Why are drivers like this?

edward2000
    Free Member

All the while this must be putting a strain on everyones clutch

so I over take the only car on the road with me.

😯

slowoldman

Why are drivers like this?

Not observant? Arrogant? Stupid? Could be many things really.

Cougar

All the while this must be putting a strain on everyones clutch

As an aside, I always boggle at the ones with no mechanical sympathy whatsoever. Last week I watched an old boy in some microscopic hatchback or other pulling out of a parking space in Tesco and driving off. Foot to the boards with the engine screaming as he reversed out of the space at a snail’s pace. Then about a fortnight later, got into a forward gear and drove off, again at less than walking pace with the engine screaming its head off. Place smelled like a burial ground after he’d gone, I can only imagine how many clutches he gets through.

ahwiles
    Free Member

you went to Castleton on a Bank-holiday Saturday?

😯

edward2000
    Free Member

😯

hora
    Free Member

😆 I try to be out/away by 10-11am

muddy9mtb

no mechanical sympathy… and still one of the funniest clips of all time
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuHvqISWK1g[/video]

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Whenever I get to the bottom of Winnats pass I get out and the mrs drives up !

I run up backwards

Never miss a free workout.

vickypea
    Free Member

Bank holidays are bad for cycling! The bridleways are bristling with walkers and dogs, and the roads are riddled with cars. Last bank holiday we cycled to Hathersage, through Edale, Hope etc, and the traffic was ridiculous.

joat

Conversly, did a couple of road rides from Castleton at the weekend up and down the hills around the valley and into the Dales. It was pretty quiet apart from the main arterial routes. I did avoid Winnat’s though; burning clutch is not a good smell when gasping for air, neither is trying to get going again after some ‘tourist’ 🙄 overtakes you and then comes to a complete stop. So what I’m saying is choose your routes and areas and there’ll be plenty of room for everyone.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’m wondering if the dog walkers on Cleveleys beach the other day were Bank Holiday visitors – they obviously didn’t know there are signs by every set of steps down to the beach that say “no dogs on beach”…

CountZero

Lady Gresley – Member
    I’m wondering if the dog walkers on Cleveleys beach the other day were Bank Holiday visitors – they obviously didn’t know there are signs by every set of steps down to the beach that say “no dogs on beach”…

Much the same as the ones who roll up to the six mile beach between Burnham-on-Sea and Brean, and get themselves, and/or their cars, stuck in the mud, requiring the call out of the coastguard in the BARB rescue hovercraft.
    On average around two hundred call outs a year.
    Not sure if it’s poor eyesight or pig ignorance that they ignore all the signs along the beach and at all the main entrances that state, quite clearly and unequivocally, ‘WARNING – SOFT SAND AND MUD DANGER OF DROWNING’
    Costs around £200/call out, funded by donations.
    The hovercraft have been there for around ten years, after a five year old girl got stuck and they couldn’t get anyone out to her before the tide came in… 🙁

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Count Zero, I hope they just rescue the people and leave their cars stuck in the mud! That might teach them a lesson

jambourgie
    Free Member

Just been out to check my clutch. It’s fine (phew!) but appreciate the sentiment OP.

ampthill

There i was driving up this lovely green valley having a look at the view

I was taking it easy and taking the chance to buff out some scratches on my clutch plate

when a bloke comes steaming past me

bank holiday weekends, shakes head

In all seriousness. Was the chap going so slowly that in first that you couldn’t maintain that speed without slipping the clutch?

hora
    Free Member

The next day I noted shedloads of roadcycles on the main roads around Tod/Hebden Bridge – cut out/across the undulating/amazing backroads towards Outlane I saw no one. Not a squeek. Mental.

Google Mill Bank Calderdale- those roads are 😀

MoreCashThanDash

you went to Castleton on a Bank-holiday Saturday?

This. Epic Fail.

Bank Holiday Monday I rode out towards the A6 and joined it at Ambergate at 10am – already queuing to get on the A6 towards Derbyshire.

Turned south, had a lovely ride around the lanes north of Derby with not a car to worry about.

maxtorque

Unfortunately, for a large majority of the British Public, this:

is the “Countryside” or at least, that is how they expect it to be 🙁

matt_outandabout

Your mistake is to be in the Peak (or any National Park) on a bank holiday or in the summer holidays.
    It was quicker on bank holiday’s for me to ride home to Sheffield from Castleton, off road, than to drive. 😕

Head north. Very North. Or West. Very West. Or best still, North and West.

rocketman
    Free Member

Riding round Cannock as I do now and then one thing I’ve noticed is that it’s actually quieter now during Bank hols than it has been in previous years. A lot of people must assume it’s going to be rammed and simply don’t go, hence this Bank hol and the last yearor two there’s been people about but nothing like it used to be.

Note to self avoid Cannock next Bank hol

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Bank holiday visitors to national parks etc (rant lite content)’ is closed to new replies.