Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Bank cock ups and the possibilty of free money. What would you do?
  • binners

And does anyone know if its legal or not?

My bank have made something of a mistake in my favour. A pleasant surprise given their usual activities, which tend to involve them bending me over and coming in dry.

I inquired about a personal loan. They took some details on the phone and said they'd send me the proposal out to sign. I hadn't decided if I was going to take it yet, but thought I'd have a look over the paperwork.

On Monday I got a balance and noticed that a considerable amount of cash had been deposited in my account. The exact amount of the loan I was inquiring about in fact.

I soon get a panicked phone call from the woman at the back saying there's been a mistake and they've approved the loan and put it in my account. And could I sign the paperwork and get it back to them ASAP

So at the moment I've got a stack of cash sat in my account. And i aint signed nuffink.

What would you do? And does anyone know the legal implications of me having a splurge on….. oooooooh I don't know…… Maybe a ludicrousy expensive full susser. A holidaywuold be nice Hmmmmmmmmm

uplink
    Free Member

It's theirs , not yours legally

They'll find the error when they audit things

MrAgreeable

I know that Monopoly says otherwise but if there's been a bank error in your favour they are entitled to claim it back. Spend it at your peril.

woody2000

No, you can't keep it, sorry.

sobriety
    Free Member

Put it all in a high interest account and then argue the toss. when you have to give it back (and you will) try to keep the interest…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Phone em up and tell em that we all own the banks now, and you're going to keep what's rightfully yours.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Buy a canoe, n get paddlin!!

BeardedDave
    Free Member

Not the same, but about 10 years ago, I had just over £3200 depostited in my account for no reason. Being a young, devious little bastard, I didn't say anything, left it alone for 6 months, and then started slowly spending it. Come the end of the tax year, the bank have an annual external audit. They noticed that £3200 had gone missing and ended up in my account. They come knocking (not literally) and to cut a long story short, I ended up paying it all back, in the style of an interest free loan (all be it at only £30 a month!).

If it's not your money, they will get it back.

G
    Free Member

Very large amount – Withdraw and run fast

Not such a large amount – Return waving wistfully as it leaves your account

lowey

Sign the form, but with the wrong name. Spell it wrong or something and also put the wrong date on it.

Hopefully they wont notice, then withdraw the money, spunk it, then dispute that the form is legally binding credit agreement as there are obvious problems with it.

Oh well, we can all dream.

ps
    lol at "coming in dry".

FuzzyWuzzy

Have some balls, put it all on Cav to win the last stage and cross your fingers, then just hand the original stake back :p

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They already know they made a mistake I soon get a panicked phone call from the woman at the back saying there's been a mistake and they've approved the loan and put it in my account. And could I sign the paperwork and get it back to them ASAP

Just give it back to them, it is theirs and they know they made a mistake. It would be nice to think you could keep it, but it won't work I am afraid.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Put it all in a high interest account

Can you tell me where these high interest accounts are please – I would like one…

BlingBling
    Free Member

Keep it in yor account for as long as possible to negate the interest on your massive overdraft 😆

binners

BlingBling. That's exactly my current thinking.

And I'm liking FuzzyWuzzy's suggestion. What are the odds at present?

marsdenman
    Free Member

Only me thinking there is nothing to 'give' back…….. by which i mean they put it in there, only a flick of a switch or 3 to take it out again……

On a more ridiculous note – wonder if this is the start of a new banking scam…….. speak with client ref. loan, 'accidently' deposit discussed fund, get you to sign the paperwork when the money is to hand – after-all, it was a discussion about a 'requirement' so it would be odds on the recipient, glowing at the thought of cash already in hand, simply signs the form…

I know, I know, its a crazy thought, afterall, the banks are not greedy…… 😆 😆

ski
    Free Member

I errrr know someone who got a bit extra in their monthly pay cheque they were not expecting!

Instead of the normal cheque of £880 (few years back mind) he opened his pay slip to see a cheque for £1.6m!

Frantic calls to the girlfriend, talk of doing a runner and having a life on the run……….

Apparently a suppliers cheque had got muddled with his.

What did he do?

Well he is still here, and still cycling bikes too

😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My dad once walked out of a building society after emptying his account to buy some aincient falling appart heap of bolts and steel that passed for a clasic british motorbike at some point.

Anyway, after getting to the guys house, agreeing the sale he hands over the sealed envalope of cash (with ammount written on it by the chashier)to the guy's suspicious and decides to count it. Gets to however many grand he should have and there's still half left!

The bank was round sharpish when they cashed up and realised they'd counted twice, all he got was a box of chocolates for his honesty! Despite the fact they'd have a job proving he had the money, seeing as all the paperwork and accounts showed the correct ammount and it was only the mathcing ammounts that showed where the error was.

mudshark
    Free Member

The woman who made the mistake is gonna get into trouble – help her out….

A mate told a bank about a mistake they made in his favour and he got a case of wine!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Go in to the branch wearing a ski mask and with the cash in a bag draped over your shoulder, and shout . .

"Don't do anything stupid, . . . . again, . . . here's your F*@k!in money"

Bunnyhop

I walked into my bank and found £80 sticking out of the cash machine.
    With no one else around I took it out, counted it and straight away handed it over to the cashier. I'm just too honest. Everyone else said I should have kept it.

Drac

Well if it had been as much as this maybe. 😆

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article6331814.ece

But the money is not yours I why would you even question not giving it back.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Everyone else said I should have kept it.

Everyone else +1

I have a little theory – if it is a small trader, I am honest and return monies. If it is a large organisation I takes my chances. I think the most I ever got was change for a £20 when I had handed over a £10 in MacD's

ski
    Free Member

Go in to the branch wearing a ski mask and with the cash in a bag draped over your shoulder, and shout . .

"Don't do anything stupid, . . . . again, . . . here's your F*@k!in money"

lol – my paperwork is now splattered with coffee 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

LOL@Whathaveisaidnow

nickc

I had to run after a women who'd left £40 sticking out of the ATM, she had a look of panic about her as this random bloke ran after her up the street waving cash…

Got overpaid for 2 months running at the place I worked a long time ago, after being honest and reporting it, they were going to sort it out. Next evening after working late and thinking I was the only one in the place, I went to the Manager's office, and barging in without knocking was going to put a quote for his approval on his desk, was instead confronted by his hairy backside as he was giving the secretary one over the desk…I beat a hasty retreat (as you would) I was quietly told that could "keep the money, and lets say nothing more shall we…"

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I beat a hasty retreat

I bet you did…

Bunnyhop

Lol @ nickc.

Pinkstiffee
    Free Member

Give it them back but charge them £30 costs for the inconvenience!

chewkw
    Free Member

Nothing is free but in this case you might keep it to accumulate interest … until such time as they want it back.

🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

Lol at nickc.

Years ago when I was but a poor student, a man left £10 sticking out of the cash machine. I ran down the street after him and gave it back to him. I went back to the cash machine and it refused to give me any money as I was passed my overdraft. My warm glow of do-goodedness kept me from being hungry that day 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

dont sign the paperwork I bet they have some clause about early repayment penalty and you will end up having to pay for their mistake. Write to them pointing out there error asking to where they wish it to be returned IF you sign it will be a credit agreement at present it is their error.
    They will get it back whatever you do just dont pay any charges for this.

Perhap you could take some time to post the letter and deal with it what with the break in and everything 😉

BigJohn

1) Keep writing them letters to tell them about their mistake, and charging them for each letter.

2) Put the money in Premium Bonds. You can get it back quick and have the chance of winning £1m.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Is your account protected against theft ? Spend the lot and then phone up and say your card has been stolen.

epicyclo

Thank them for the loan, and send them a letter telling them what repayment schedule and interest you are going to pay.

But some poor sod is going to get their bum kicked, so bear that in mind when deciding what to do.

NZCol

I had an issue where the bank managed to take an extra 180K OUT of my account (revolving credit so had a mahoosive overdraft limit). Anyway, managed to get them to refund it all then had to threaten them with court action via the banking ombudsman when they decided they would not refund the difference in interest that i had to pay for the period i was massively overdrawn! It was incredible – they lost a customer, well 2 actually but did not seem to care one jot. Bizarre. I billed them for my time @ my normal rate and eventually got that and 2K compensation for their utter rudeness and complete incompetence.

user-removed
    Free Member

First up – sobriety is quite right.

Secondly, a couple of droll anecdotes.

My friend and I were walking into town with enough to get into the Mud Club (£2) and a couple of quid left over for a few jars at £1 a pop. Not many.

Half way there, we spot a lad running (staggering) for a bus. He's pulling change out of his pockets, and every time he does so, he's dropping notes all over the pavement – must have been paid in cash – it was a Friday.

So we shouted at him, "Hey Mister, you're dropping yer money!".

And he shouts back, " Go 5uck yersels, ya wee c&&&&"

We followed him down North West Street for a quarter mile picking up his £10s and £20s. We ended up with a cool coupla hundred and got massively hammered. That's what you get for being rude.

Second tale; I found £60 sticking out of Asda's cashpoint. Given that there was a queue behind me, and that my conscience was pricking ( could have been an old lady's pension!!) I handed it in to a non-plussed customer services lass.

When we'd done our shopping, I went back to the desk to ask what would happen to the cash. The lass huffed and puffed and wrote down the details in a book, telling me to come back in six months if the money hadn't been claimed, which I duly did. I was then told that the money had been returned to the bank, as it had been found in a machine, not on the floor. What a load of w@nk. Next time, I'll spend it on beer and tabs.

slimtubing
    Free Member

We have just recently tranferred our considerable credit card (NZ$6000) debt to a low interest card as we were struggling to dent the sum borrowed, a week after we had done this the bank wiped the debt off our new card. we fessed up and got a very humble apology from our manager. (who is a top bloke for a banker)
    they will laways find out sooner or later.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Bank cock ups and the possibilty of free money. What would you do?’ is closed to new replies.