• This topic has 23 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by alexeyporubay-spam.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • bank account with 'folders' for money – does it exist?
  • retro83
    Free Member

I want to be able to separate out some money for different things. Anybody know of an account which lets me put money in virtual folders or envelopes?

The ideal thing would then be a priority selection, so if you use up the money in the main account, then it would use the money from the takeaway fund, then the car fund etc but that’s not a deal breaker.

Have googled but got nowhere.

funkmasterp

I just have different accounts. Main account, savings and fun account. Fun account has had 14p in it for two and a half years. Weirdly I have a two and a half year old son. Other than separate accounts I’ve not come across something like you’re after.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Can you have multiple online savings accounts, with the same bank. EDIT: i could have 5 with lloyds + my current account.

Still would need you to transfer money between them.

squirrelking
    Free Member

As far as I know both RBS and Lloyds or TSB both offer such a thing, I think its some sort of saving target but not an actual seperate pot

mudmonster
    Free Member

I have a savings account and a current account but I also have a account for the band I’m in. It is linked to my account but I get a separate debit card.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve wanted the same for years, multiple savings accounts is the only way I’ve found to date

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Why bother with “folders” or multiple savings accounts when you can have current accounts at different banks paying you a better rate of interest than any savings account?
    Lloyds, TSB, Santander etc all offer a comparatively decent rate of interest on £2.5-£20k.
    It’s saving without thinking about it…

Rubber_Buccaneer

^ that and use a spreadsheet to divvy it up

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Halifax online lets you have multiple online saving accounts which I use as “pots” for managing money. Ive 5 of them.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Yes. I have one. Technically they are separate accounts. But as long as they are the same type it gets counted as one.
    I have 6 or 7. 3 are shared with my wife.

I’m not in the UK so not much use to you really……

kcal

My IF account used to have that – they called them ‘jars’ – quite handy. But I don’t think they do new accounts any more, and were actively encouraging you to switch away from them..

P-Jay
    Free Member

My nationwide account had an ‘E Savings’ account – it sits just below my main account on my banking app- as above, completely barren for 2yrs and 2mths since Daughter was born.

I do have one account when the balance seems to jump up hundreds every month, my credit card…

retro83
    Free Member

suburbanreuben – Member
    Why bother with “folders” or multiple savings accounts when you can have current accounts at different banks paying you a better rate of interest than any savings account?

TBH I’m just getting a bit sick of maintaining multiple memorable words, places, passwords, dates, people for each site. Even as a paid up LastPass member it’s a pain in the chebs and I can’t be bothered.

Interest doesn’t make too much difference as the amounts are small and the rates are so craaap.

P-Jay – Member
    My nationwide account had an ‘E Savings’ account – it sits just below my main account on my banking app- as above, completely barren for 2yrs and 2mths since Daughter was born.

I do have one account when the balance seems to jump up hundreds every month, my credit card…

😆 Same here. Bike is now running full deore and superstar instead of XT and hope 🙁 Doesn’t matter anyway, I’m too tired to ride the ****.

holdsteady

I have an interest off-set mortgage with RBS called the One Account which enables the creation of virtual folders so imagine they might offer something similar with a current account too

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

TBH I’m just getting a bit sick of maintaining multiple memorable words, places, passwords, dates, people for each site. Even as a paid up LastPass member it’s a pain in the chebs and I can’t be bothered.

I know what you mean…
    And sorting out the direct debits and standing orders for the merry go round, I wouldn’t be doing that again in a hurry!

GrahamS

We have multiple accounts at the same bank (NatWest) – so just one login for online banking and easy quick transfer between accounts.

Like the idea of “folders” in the same account though, that would be quite good.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

We have multiple accounts at the same bank (NatWest) – so just one login for online banking and easy quick transfer between accounts.

Which is great until their system goes down…
    Happened a couple of times recently with Nat West hasn’t it?

phil56

We have exactly this with Barclay’s, all in a single account. You set up ‘pots’ and move money in or out as you need, but all adds up to a single balance. It also offsets if you’ve a linked mortgage.
    I think it was originally a Woolwich product

deadkenny
    Free Member

Nationwide is pretty easy to create loads of new accounts online. They are separate accounts though and may have different rates.

GrahamS

Which is great until their system goes down…

Never been a bother for us (yet) and we’ve been banking like this for at least a decade. But then I never have a banking matter so urgent that it can’t wait a few hours.

BillMC

No need. Just have fun on your shopping account.

DezB
    Free Member

TBH I’m just getting a bit sick of maintaining multiple memorable words, places, passwords, dates, people for each site

Does no-one else use First Direct’s Internet Banking Plus? I haven’t even got an account with them, but use it on my PCs for online banking with multiple accounts – it keeps all your login details in an encrypted “vault” and you just use one to login to all accounts.

Aside from that there was a new online account which had something like the folder idea – looked interesting, but there was a monthly fee, so I didn’t sign up.

woody74

We use NatWest with multiple accounts. In the app and online you can then rename them to say “holiday acc”

DezB
    Free Member

atombank i think it was I looked at. App based, but from this screenshot, looks like you can categorise funds

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘bank account with 'folders' for money – does it exist?’ is closed to new replies.