Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bangkok over Christmas, what to see and do
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Our holiday this year in in Thailand and we have three days in Bangkok to start with.

Anything activities recommended ? We’re defo doing the Palace on one of the days.

stewartc
    Free Member

Mind if I lurk here as I planning to be there over Xmas to and would like some ideas?

bigblackshed

Ping pong?

marko75
    Free Member

You have to see the palace, go shopping in one of the many markets (get a suit?), sex show (you have to do this), thai boxing match, day trip to river kwai……

Harry_the_Spider

Ping pong?

Disgusting.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5EA2g3nZWo[/video]

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We were there 12 years go, did the ping pong thing, Thai kick boxing, but we’re going back with the daughter we took there a few months before she was born, probably won’t do the ping pong thing then but, I’d recommend it if you are in a situation to experience it, along with paper darts, small birds, a 40m long ribbon etc.

Whatever, don’t accept a balloon in one of those bars.

Second the palace as it was amazing last time we were there do defo taking the daughter there.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I thought just wandering round and eating was the best thing to do, with the occasional temple as a goal between eating

TheFlyingOx

If you do a city tour, plan it yourself and just get a tuk-tuk from each place to the next. Don’t go with anyone coming up to you telling you about a city tour, because you’ll end up wasting most of your day arguing whether or not you should visit the driver’s “uncle’s” jewellery/gemstone shop.

J-R

By yourself or with the other half?

mudmuncher

1. Lumpini night market – quite large and used to have bands playing some nights
    2. Jim Thompson’s house – Tourist favourite.
    3. Get a boat up the river to Ayutthaya (original capital of Thailand) – used to leave from the sangria-la hotel and included lunch.
    4. Reclining Budha – can’t remember the name of the temple but near the palace
    5. Chatuchuk day market
    6. Curry at mrs Balbirs (Indian celeb chef famous in Thailand)
    7. Taxi to “The Ancient City” which is large theme park with copies of many temples. Better than it sounds and the best bit is you can hire bikes and cycle round
    8. Dinner or drinks from the top floor of the Banyan Tree hotel for a panoramic view of Bangkok.
    9. Brown Sugar jazz bar used to be good if you like a bit of live jazz.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

It’s a few years since I’ve been so not completely up to date but as well as the Palace I’d recommend

– chatuchak market if you’re there at a weekend. Massive open air market selling earthing from handicrafts to endangered species. Worth half a day or more. Huge amount of street food there as well

– MBK shopping mall used to be the place for pirate software, fake watches, DVDs etc at much better prices than on the streets. A real experience in itself as well. Loads of other malls if you just want clothes or high end stuff

– try to take a canal bus somewhere. The canals are tucked away and take a it of finding but there’s nothing like the experience of a narrow boat powered by an un silenced , exposed, truck engine at the rear barrelling under bridges with inches to spare.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

By yourself or with the other half?

Me, Mrs coolhandluke and daughter (11)

butcher

…just get a tuk-tuk from each place to the next.

Make sure you have life insurance in place first.

The Skytrain is quite cool.

loddrik
    Free Member

Jim Thompsons house is great, didn’t think it’d be my thing but it was a true little oasis of calm in the middle of all the madness.

Didn’t like having to wear jeans into the Grand Palace. As if it wasn’t already hot and humid enough!!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bangkok over Christmas, what to see and do’ is closed to new replies.