Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bangernomics anyone had a civic?
  • King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a cheap civic for less than £2000, any other bangernomics fans had one?

stever
    Free Member

Sold a Civic I had for 13 years. That would have been £650 well spent for you. We bought another Civic.

chiefgrooveguru

Not a bangernomic, a buy it used but new-ish and run it until it dies person – ’03 Civic Type-S, bought at 18 months and 10k miles, still going strong 100,000 miles later. Had to replace the front suspension arms recently (if it’s a speed hump in a 30 zone I go over it at 30…) but apart from that it’s just been the usual oil, filters, brakes servicing. Air-con compressor broke a couple of years ago – known fault, warranties were extended but I missed the cut – still demists and I no longer spend my days driving around in a suit so I can live without the cooling. Probably worth under £2k now. Great bike car.

butcher

As it happens, I’ve just bought one. £750.

Not sure 2k counts towards bangernomics (though it has to be said, the prices of used cars has inflated a lot in recent years). This is the 2nd most expensive car I’ve owned in 15 years.

I also had one of the old Rovers a while back which was pretty much a re-badged Civic. That thing was bombproof.

soma_rich
    Free Member

we have an S ’98 Civic bought for £900 done ~25K miles in it with no issues will be selling it soon for £600 if your interested. With thule roof racks.Like this but purple

br
    Free Member

£2k Banger! Only on STW.

For comparison my neighbour is selling a 53 plate Focus for £1300 – looks in good nick too.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Not a bangernomic, a buy it used but new-ish and run it until it dies person – ’03 Civic Type-S, bought at 18 months and 10k miles, still going strong 100,000 miles later. Had to replace the front suspension arms recently (if it’s a speed hump in a 30 zone I go over it at 30…) but apart from that it’s just been the usual oil, filters, brakes servicing. Air-con compressor broke a couple of years ago – known fault, warranties were extended but I missed the cut – still demists and I no longer spend my days driving around in a suit so I can live without the cooling. Probably worth under £2k now. Great bike car.

How are the type-s on fuel?

Not sure 2k counts towards bangernomics (though it has to be said, the prices of used cars has inflated a lot in recent years). This is the 2nd most expensive car I’ve owned in 15 years.

Very true, £2k is approx half the cost of the car I will be getting rid of, it is the max I want to spend on it’s replacement.

Thanks for responses. I like the 2003 shape accords too, a few high milers in budget. Don’t know if I really need something that big though.

sweepy
    Free Member

A guy I worked with had one of the old civics, he reckoned it was the most reliable car he ever had, but a lot started to go wrong at 250,000m so he gave it to his son.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Soma_rich were are you based?

GeForceJunky

What about a cheap, non banger Mondeo that I just happen to be selling:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320863786603?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_500wt_1361

soma_rich
    Free Member

Catflees Southampton 🙂

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Junkie A bit far away, I’m in Chester. My other cars an MX5 too, we would have had the same vehicles 🙂

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Sorry Rich too far away, 🙁

D0NK

£2k Banger! Only on STW.

+1
    bangernomics is sub 1k surely? and if you’re sub 1k I’ve got a vreg corolla you may be interested in 🙂

dingabell
    Free Member

I had a Civic Estate which was a bloody brilliant car. Air con, leather, electric sunroof and ultra reliable. Sold it for a grand to upgrade and I’m now looking to downgrade again so I’ll be hunting for another one soon. Big boot too.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I had a G ref 1.6i 16v a while back. I wanted CRX but I was too tall. It was great, a bit like a go cart that would fit a bike in or two inside. 500 quid very well spent. Like many Japanese cars though parts can be expensive.

rob2
    Free Member

Soma – I might be interested. I’ll drop you an email.

garage-dweller

Similar to whippersnapper I had a G reg one quite a few years back.

1.4 twin carb 16v – lovely little car. Was the ex wifes daily driver and had done 135k when i got rid and still ran great.

garage-dweller

2k mondeo worth a look. We got an 05 petrol hatch with 100k on for not much more than that.

I would suggest a petrol one – no scary bills for dual mass flywheels!!!

chiefgrooveguru

Our Type-S manages 40mpg on long motorway runs, usually stays in the high 30s, drops to the low 30s (but never goes lower) if you’re really ragging it or doing stop-start town driving. A more patient driver than me could elicit a few more MPG.

velocipede
    Free Member

A vote here for a Mondeo – I paid £3.5k for mine on ebay (05 plate Ghia, 29k miles with full history) 3 years ago – have done 50k miles since on just servicing, tyres and a new battery – brilliant!

£2k spent on one of those will be money well spent! 😀

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Sorry, just noticed the replies. Not really after a Mondeo. Still not got round to changing cars either, yet.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bangernomics anyone had a civic?’ is closed to new replies.