Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Bands you didn't like at the time, but now think are really good.
  • PracticalMatt
    Free Member

RATM – at the time thought they were politically nieve and preachy, now just like the shear anger

Smashing Pumpkins – at the time, too limp wristed. Now quite well crafted songs

ElVino

Lots really Smiths, The Cure, Echo & the Bunnymen was put off by their fans at the time

lowey

Foo's. Never really liked them till a couple of years ago.

Beagleboy

Duran Duran 😳

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Fugazi – aged 15 thought there was 20 minutes of a good hardcore punk record in their somewhere…aged 18+ the penny dropped! 😉

nickc

now just like the shear anger

Translation: Loud and shouty to disguise the fact it's shit…

Siamese Dreams is worth a listen or two, the rest of Billy Corgan's output isn't worth it…

toys19
    Free Member

Foos +1
    Always loved Duran Duran.

For me the best one is The The, when I was first introduced to it I thought, ugghhh sheeeeeeeite. 2 weeks later I loved them..

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

The Foo Fighters have ALWAYS been FANTASTIC!!

headfirst
    Free Member

S Club Juniors

mudshark
    Free Member

at the time thought they were politically naive

LOL

I ignored The Stone Roses and the like at the time – too busy being a rocker I suppose.

Milkie
    Free Member

I used to be an electronics music guy only.. Now I appreciate nearly all forms of music, but still hate many of the artists!

Didn't like & now I like..
    Foo Fighters
    Blink 182
    Metallica
    Green Day

Who said Duran Duran!? How could you not love them!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Led Zeppelin

(Seriously – I was too wrapped up in Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Queen etc to bother with them as a kid).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Muse.

Taken me a while to get in to them. Oh, and the Super Furry Animals as well. What was I thinking?

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

It was Fugazi who put me off RATM.

It was like switching from Newsnight to the local socalist worker meeting or possibly from channel four news to live from studio five.

steve-g
    Free Member

I tend to make a point of not liking any bands at the time, then getting into them in a cool retro kind of way

zaskar
    Free Member

The Cure, never really liked them until they did ther bit for The Crow soundtrack in '94.

flip
    Free Member

The Carpenters 😳

My mom used to listen to them a lot, i now think they were ok

GaryLake
    Free Member

Pulp and Blur, too busy filling my ears with the shit that was Oasis when britpop came round.

Smashing Pumpkins were always good (well SD and MCATIS), shame on you!

khani
    Free Member

pil, first time round i thought they were s**t
    luv em now,
    and the dead kennedys, same again
    and not a band but….johnny cash

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

+1 for Pil – Heavily into sex pistols aged fifteen, got lent a Pil album, not quite what I was expecting. Now think they are ace.

Foos – I think they have got better with age and I have therefore grown to like the. the video on the plane with DG playing the camp air steward did help convert me I think (although that's a poor choice of words).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

El Vino, you grew up in Ireland too?

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Bruce Springsteen. Growing up in the 80's all I heard was Born in the Usa. Although I always secretly liked Born to Run. It wasn't until he did the Seeger album that I really took notice. Now have most of his albums.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Agree with Curtis on Springsteen. I thought he was gash until I heard The River. What a fool I was.

JulianA
    Free Member

OMD and quite a few other eighties bands – too busy being a heavy metal person and thinking all the others were 'pouffy'.

Glad to have grown out of THAT one!

Carpenters were/are ace. Also now really like Linda Ronstadt and her contemporaries…

CountZero

The Smiths are probably the main band that I just couldn't get into at the time. Kinda like Guiness and olives, you have to let your palate mature to appreciate certain things.

lister

U2*

*No, not really, they are REALLY TERRIBLE as always! 🙂

EDIT: who'd have though the 'S' word that ryhmnes with kite wouldn't be in the swear filter!

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Muse, they were trying so hard to be like Radiohead on their first album I laughed.

Smashing Pumpkins, the tinny jazz drumming made my ears bleed until I heard it on a decent stereo.

westkipper
    Free Member

David Bowie. 'left me completely cold at first.
    One of the things that makes me feel a bit superior to proper-at-the-time Bowie fans is that you know their opinion is heavily swayed by their nostalgia for the period, their youth etc, so a lot of his 'classic' stuff has no more meaning for me than stuff from the last few albums, so I can enjoy it on its own terms.
    (even as a metal fan, I never liked Tin Machine, though)

I really, honestly wish I could feel the same way about Led Zep, BTW, but they still look to me like a group of middle-class white guys trying to rip off blues riffs, covering up the joins with volume and affectation.

djc1245
    Free Member

I hated Nirvana at the time, think they are/were great now.
    Wasn't a fan of the Smiths or Stone Roses but love 'em now.
    Absolutely hated AC/DC(into punk at the time) but now have every album.

Harry_the_Spider

I didn't get The Smiths until about 10 minutes before they split up.

sc-xc

EDIT: who'd have though the 'S' word that ryhmnes with kite wouldn't be in the swear filter!

shit isn't either.

And whilst I'd agree with how terrible much of U2's output is, I really, really love 'Running to stand still' from Joshua Tree.

sc-xc

#
    curtisthecat – Member

Bruce Springsteen. Growing up in the 80's all I heard was Born in the Usa. Although I always secretly liked Born to Run. It wasn't until he did the Seeger album that I really took notice. Now have most of his albums.
    Posted 3 hours ago # Report-Post
    #
    rumbledethumps – Member

Agree with Curtis on Springsteen. I thought he was gash until I heard The River. What a fool I was.

Loved Bruce Springsteen since first hearing the River, but it's Nebraska that does it for me. And the version of Thunder Road that opens Live 75-85 is my all time favourite song I reckon.

In fact, it sounds a lot like this….

Thunder Road, just voice, piano & harmonica

Take a few minutes out to understand Bruce Springsteen isn't just Born in the USA.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Carpenters were/are ace

pseudo-country dirge pap. pass the razor blade

chewkw
    Free Member

All of them are shite except ABBA, Bee Gees, Carpenters and Elvis.

Shite!

yunki
    Free Member

I think I start to see the value of pretty much everything as time goes on… wierd and scarey or mellow and wiser?

slimtubing
    Free Member

Pressured by a friend to listen to Junkyard by The Birthday Party and thought it was frikkin awful, now devour anything I can by Nick Cave.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Bands you didn't like at the time, but now think are really good.’ is closed to new replies.