Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • bands u never ever got, bands u get now that u didn’t
  • antigee

following on from the U2 post reminded of something that came up whilst out running with the ipod

bands you never got and can’t get:

The Who – don’t know, doesn’t matter how much i listen (and i’m almost from that era) i know its clever, its raw,it was ahead of its time but it does nothing for me

bands u get now that u didn’t get:
    T Rex – remember as a pre teen watching Marc Bolan on TOTP thinking bring on Pans People – well i’d still like to have some bits of the ladies of Pans People firmly vibrating in my ear but have to admit that Marc Bolan was a brilliant song writer

colnagokid

Pink Flloyd, just thought it was my long haired brother’s music. Pleased realy cos its like discovering a whole new band and loadsa new records

slimtubing
    Free Member

never found any love for simple minds as a teen, everybody as school in ’85 seemed to love them, I took the path of the Cramps instead.
    Husker du totally bypassed me as a teen and are now probably my favourite band, long disbanded though 😥

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

New Order – Plinky-plonky electonic dirge with a ‘singer’ with a voice and personality flatter than the Fens, and about as wet too.

RadioHead – 2 good songs and then they shove their heads up their asses.

darrell
    Free Member

i remember seeing Husker Du at Glastonbury in the 80’s. great band, love em to bits.

in the late 80’s and early 90’s i hated dance music. Suppose it was just me being grumpy cause i was a rock music fan. but as the years went on i really started to like some of it. Especially System 7 and bands like Bent and Lemon Jelly

Pigface
    Free Member

Re Husker Du, better late than never.

waihiboy
    Free Member

The beatles…. still cant work out what all the fuss was/is about to be honest,. they actually annoy the f*ck out of me.

i did grow up with grunge/rock/alternative stuff though so that explains alot 😉

i cry when i hear half the sh*t that is produced these days…. maybe its me getting old?!

fizzer
    Free Member

Second the comments on the beatles but them being scousers doesn’t help either.

willard

I can sort of get the Beatles now. Some of their stuff was odd and the early stuff was a hit (I think) because they were different, new and well managed. I do prefer the later stuff though.

Strangely I am starting to get Oasis a lot more than I used to. I know they have been called the new “Quo”, but I’m starting to appreciate their style a lot more now that they have mellowed a bit.

The Who are legends. Pink Floyd I still don’t get, even after years of listening to their music. Don’t even get me started on the modern crap that record companies throw out these days. It’s not worth the meagre cost of the electricity required to listen to it on the radio.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

I never got the whole Beatles thing, and still don’t. Werid cos the only genre I didn’t like 5 yrs ago was country, now I can’t get enough…

augeri
    Free Member

What about bands that I like that I didn’t have the balls to admit to at the time?

Journey
    Survivor
    Foreigner
    Barry manilow (kidding!)

amosridl
    Free Member

Never got into:

Queen, Beatles

Recently discovered:
    Depeche Mode
    Journey

MrAgreeable

How can you hate New Order Pete? They had John Barnes rapping!

Second the Beatles. They are so overexposed that they are the cultural equivalent of magnolia.

jimster
    Free Member

The Smiths – end of.

nickc

Only recently got Pink Floyd.

Never got all the Gun’s N Roses type spandex/Big Hair thing, just thought it was overblown packaged hype. No content at all. Only type of music I’ve got no time for

jimster
    Free Member

Think The Beatles thing was because they were the first “Pop” band – these days it just sounds like depressing dirge, IMO of course. 😉

Anna-B
    Free Member

Can’t stand Fairport Convention and can’t stand Sandy Denny even more.
    Really dislike Frank Zappa.
    Totally and completely don’t get Yes.

But now I love XTC, and didn’t used to. How could I not?
    Also…. couldn’t stand Bob Dylan. Old, boring music. Now I love his stuff too.

FuzzyWuzzy

The Smiths & The Cure, yawn

ourmaninthenorth

Never got Bruce Springsteen until about 5 years ago with a covers album from a magazine. Now I think his music is – by and large – wonderful and uplifting.

grievoustim
    Free Member

i think the beatles don’t get played enough – a perception that they are always “on the radio” so they are actually very rarely “on the radio”, the fact that for the most part they have shunned being used in ads etc helps.

The Beatles haters need to buy some CDs and a copy of the book “Revolution in the Head” to put the whole thing into context and look at the music with fresh eyes

Bands I missed out on at the time – stone roses/ smiths/ dance music as I too was a bit too much of a metal kid

also missed seeing Jeff Buckley and Big Star at festivals I was at cos at the time I wasn’t aware of them – love both acts now and I’ll never get to see them (Jeff for sure anyway)

Raouligan
    Free Member

Radiohead, still don’t get the early albums, the later stuff is great.

never got the Jam, but can’t get enough of the Style Council, don’t like Paul Weller Solo stuff either….

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Never got – The Beatles, ELO, Emmerson, Lake and Palmer, Yes, Bob Dylan (no, really), Greatful Dead, Simple Minds, Thompson Twins, Depeche Mode, G’n’R,2-step R’n’B, Wombles, Cannibal Corpse, At the Gates – to name just a few.

Now getting – Drum’n’Bass (yeh, longtime coming),Replacements, Rancid, Scott Walker, Big Star, 70’s funk.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

never ‘got’ the damned, mate was into them, he was the punk. i was the rocker…more priest/maiden.

but went to a charity gig that the Damned headlined… loved em and get em now.

rolling stones – never got em… cant stand em when they come on Rock Radio manchester

whippersnapper
    Free Member

another never got still don’t get for the Beatles, the Smiths and Blur (all with an exception of two)

just got The Jesus and Mary Chain recently though.

johnhoo
    Free Member

never got C&W. Never will. nor ABBA.

Zappa doesn’t impress me, nor the likes of Steve Vai. “Fretboard w*nkery” as a friend of mine would say

sslowpace
    Free Member

I was a rock kid so wasn’t ‘allowed’ to like the Who and The Jam at the time. Love ’em both.
    Kinks, Hendrix, Jesus and Mary chain, eels, nouvelle vague. Came to them late.
    Now i find that if i like a song, whatever genre, I’ll give the artist a go.

metalheart
    Free Member

Never got stiff little fingers. never will.

Don’t really get Jeff Buckley (but then I was a massive fan of his old man who is much much better imho)

Radiohead I’ve come around to (but I guess never hated)

Used to really hate Goldfrapp but really like the 7th tree album (and went back to find Felt Mountain). Still can’t stomach Black Cherry though.

Coyote
    Free Member

“Fretboard Wankery”? Hmmm… Over technical, possibly. Showing off? Definately. However it is undoubtable talent.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘bands u never ever got, bands u get now that u didn’t’ is closed to new replies.