Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Bands from your youth that you've just started listening to again
  • VanHalen

Slayer
    Ministry
    Storm troopers of death
    Black Sabbath
    Arrested development
    Run dmc
    Public enemy

All back with a big grin.

CountZero

S’funny, reading the sort of bands that people on here are ‘re-discovering’! Apart from the ‘Baggie’ crowd, the ‘Stuffies, The Farm, Soup Dragons, and James, Reef, and a couple of others, who I was never really taken with, pretty much all of those listed are on my iPod, and get a regular airing, and whatever doesn’t I hear on 6Music. 😀
    I’ve recently re-discovered Gentle Giant, a band I hadn’t listened to for probably twenty or more years, and what’s remarkable is just how contemporary they sound, and several new bands owe an awful lot to GG for their sound, like Alt-J.
    I’m also rediscovering Renaissance, who I saw a few times, and always loved Annie Haslam’s voice, and their music, although the lyrics could be a bit ‘flowery’, because they started a Kickstarter project last year to fund a new album. It’s their first in nearly a decade, which I supported, and I’ve just received notification about, which pleases me immensely, as the CD will be signed by the band, although, sadly, Michael Dunsford, their original guitarist, died several weeks ago, which is a real shame.

Northwind

Don’t think I ever stopped listening to the music of my youth tbh!

But now listening to Bagsy Me by the Wannadies because of this thread. Which isn’t actually from my youth, but close enough. Soon I shall start skipping the bad songs to get to Hit, just like 1997

themightysimmonite
    Free Member

Recently rediscovered Squeeze. Man their back catalogue is brim full of songs with some of the most superb lyrics ever written.
    Plus some of the melodies are stunning.

Blondie, another good shout. Just got tickets for their July show in Edinburgh. Hoping I can conceal my Debbie Harry crush from missus TMS.

Not forgetting Graham Parker & the Rumour. Haven’t really started re-listeneing as I been a life-long fan, although some of his most recent stuff is a bit to C&W for my taste. But listen again to Howlin’ Wind, Stick to Me & Squeezing Out Sparks brings back some awesome mems.

Enjoy
    TMS

saxabar
    Free Member

Have been listening to LFO’s “Frequencies” a fair bit of late. Along with NoW, Forgemasters and so on, a fine time to be Northern!

rewski
    Free Member

Atcq, Africa Bambaataa, Malcolm maclaren duck rock, royal house aka Todd terry.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Bought the new Ugly Kid Joe EP on a nostaglic whim last year, which has turned out to be ‘a bit of a grower’

Thanks, Least Wanted is one of favourite albums. Look forward to hearing new stuff from them.

Slayer South of Heaven is my latest rediscovery.

radar
    Free Member

After watching some stuff on the merits of vinyl on BBC4 last month it has been Eighties indie disco every week at our house.

EBTG, Fall, New Order, Bodines, very early James, Smiths, Cocteau Twins (Liz Fraser!),The Man From Delmonte, Depeche Mode, The The, Scritti Politti, Woodentops, Levellers, Altered Images (Clare Grogan – sigh)to name but a few

dunsapie
    Free Member

A few old discs to be found in my car include;
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=mANx3L-N0yU&NR=1[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8_2mIOFfz4[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXfgYTqwQUw[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL_lu4upWRU[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECd3xwJJMAQ[/video]

Haze

Dinosaur Jr

garage-dweller

Twenty years after first hearing a song by them I found a copy of the Temple of the Dog album on Amazon.

Also rediscovered the following in my collection after a few years gathering dust:
    Suicidal Tendencies
    earlier Metallica albums
    Pantera

Although I’ve never really stopped listening to the music I liked at 14-15 I also like a broader range of genres now. Still don’t get interested by mainstream chart music but I guess it’s not aimed at me.

WillH

I still mostly listen to the same stuff as I listened to when I was young. First albums I ever bought were Metallica’s black album and Aerosmith’s Pump, still listen to both regularly.

I have just (last night in fact) dug out my old Wildhearts albums, and they are as awesome as they used to be.

Pigface
    Free Member

Anyone remember The Darling Buds?

Ah Andrea Bud had such a crush on her 😆

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Massive Attack – Never stopped listening really.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMaFdblx7Fg[/video]

dingabell
    Free Member

I regularly dig out the darling buds album. Also good call for the woodentops. Love Wooden Foot Cops on The Highway. Maybe another thread should be started for VHS videos that you can’t get on DVD. I’ll start with Faith No More- Video Croisant and The Housemartins- London 0 Hull 4.

piemonster

Faith No More again here, everybody should see a grown man urinate on stage.

Northwind

WillH – Member

I have just (last night in fact) dug out my old Wildhearts albums, and they are as awesome as they used to be.

Good shout… I never listen to them any more but only because I’ve burned every track into my brain so hard I don’t need to 🙂 Touring Earth Vs soon, 20th anniversary…

Now playing: Suckerpunch b-sides.

piemonster

Killing joke

CountZero

Haze, just for you…

beefheart
    Free Member

Lots of what’s above.

Also Pearl Jam.

oomidamon

Ah Andrea Bud had such a crush on her

+1, Tracey from the Primitives too…

Coyote
    Free Member

Killing Joke after buying “Absolute Dissent”.

Also put “Love” by the Cult on last night. What an absolutely awesome album that is. Not a weak track on there. Pity they went shit after that.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Bands from your youth that you've just started listening to again’ is closed to new replies.