Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Ballpark cost for LBS to fit a new fork?
  • richcc
    Free Member

Got fork, headset but not sure if I'm going to get chance to fit it. How much is LBS likely to want to do it?

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

£20

mark.laird
    Free Member

£20 – £25 😆

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

£25 buys a pipe cutter (or a hacksaw) and a sfn setting tool and some beer. Split crown races go on by hand. There are a number of ways of bodging a crown race setting tool, eg old stem, bit of pipe.

psychle
    Free Member

my LBS wanted to charge me £10 to cut my steerer… went next door and bought a hacksaw for £6 and did it myself 🙄 Now I just need to set the SFN, anyone know a useful bodge for that?

tron
    Free Member

SFN fitting is easy. Put a bolt in it and use a hammer.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Hope head doctor instead of a SFN?

When I fitted my first set of forks, I just put the SFN in myself, not knowing there was a proper tool for the job.

just be sensible about how you push it in and you'll be fine, alternatively Hope Head Doctor for £8 instead .

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=12784&src=froogle

Alternatively someone in your area will have the tools and will be on this forum.

Don't cut your steerer too short!

fubar
    Free Member

Evans Price List

I always look at the Evans price list and then the LBS price always seems reasonable (to save you the trouble it's £25 for fitting a fork and £30 for a fitting headset…but I'd hope to to get the two done together for less).

jonahtonto
    Free Member

cut down a broom handle and the rounded end works well for fitting sfn

Wally

I have a spare SFN setter for sale. £7 posted?

Lip inside barrel means it just sits nice on the steerer and you bash copper pin with other copper pin on nut of SFN.

I have two because I ended up doing quite a few forks and upgraded to a threaded end one made of steel. This is fine for occasional use – but one fork out of about 5 needed a bolt placed through the SFN (once set to the correct dept by this tool) and a few taps to slightly straighten the SFN. Way better than bodge it and co.

Email in profile – in jiffy bag to post this afternoon – paypal gift to mail address in profile please.

hora
    Free Member

If you've never done it before/unsure get a bikeshop to do it for £20. Its a good price – would take a competent mechanic literally 5mins and you'd avoid potentially wasting hundreds through mucking it up.

Plus a badly fitted headset can score your steerer.

Drac

2 very easy jobs to do yourself not worth £20 plus waiting around for it to be done, time to drop off and collect.

Once you've measured the steerer length use some tape around the steerer and match the ends in line, this is a perfect guide to cutting straight.

SFN whack it in with a piece wood and a hammer jobs done.

Still seen too many posts on here where they've ballsed up though.

hora
    Free Member

Still seen too many posts on here where they've ballsed up though.

Agree. Steerer cutting and brake bleeding are the only jobs I leave to someone who has done it countless times before. i.e. already gone through the learning phase on someone elses kit.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Slight hijack but what would a complete build be for a hardtail if I were to come in with all the bits?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I discovered a nice SFN bodge tother day, thread the bolt right into the SFN then sit a ratchet/socket set extension bar over the top…I know you don't really need it but it stops the threaded bit seperating from the fangled bit and helps guide it in straight.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Ballpark cost for LBS to fit a new fork?’ is closed to new replies.